Brown Water Navy

Discussion in 'Model History & Reference' started by Bowdenja, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK......... not sure what it is about me and hard to find boats to model, but I've decided to give a try to the boats used during the Viet Nam war, and again plans are hard to come by.

BUT.......... I did stumble upon a wonderful site with information, MODELS, and a good guy running it.

I email the site and recieved a reply back almost immediately............ no not a canned response but an email address to me from a guy named Jack with a response to my question............. places to find what I need.

I was impressed............. real people..........WOW!

I told him to check out our wonderful place and he said that he liked the Huey in the POTW. He said he tried card models awhile back but was more comfortable with the other know the "P" stuff.

Anyway if you are looking for info on this time frame or just want to see some good models and information.................... check it out!

2. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Let me be the first to ask to be a Bata builder. I served in PBR's and have wanted to build one in paper for a very long time. I’ll scout around and see if I can find some sources of Plans.

Jim Nunn
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Cool Jim............... here is what I've found and ordered from

Order# Item
    VN-1 36' River Patrol Craft (RPC)
    VN-2 50' Patrol Launch PCF Mk1
    VN-3 50' Assault Support Patrol Boat (ASPB)
    VN-4 50' Patrol Boat (FAST) Mk2
    VN-5 56' Armored Troop Carrier Refueler
    VN-6 56' Command & Communication Boat (CCB)
    VN-7 56' Monitor
    VN-8 65' Picket Boat
    VN-9 74' Hydrofoil Gunboat PGH-1 Grumann
    VN-10 71' Hydrofoil Gunboat PGH-2 Boeing
    VN-11 80' Fast Patrol Boat PTF Nasty class
    VN-12 95' Steel Patrol Boat PGM53
    VN-13 100' Patrol Motor Gunboat PGM

My plan was to do a CCB or Monitor first and then an ATC Tango boat.

But you know what they say about plans and mice and men...............

I'll take you up on the beta!

4. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

That’s a very ambitious list, if you do the monitor keep in mind that there were two types, the gun boat and the “Zippo” flame boat. You could always tell who the crews of the Zippo’s were they did not have any facial hair or eyebrows.

Most CCB’s had rebar armor that will be hard to replicate in a paper model.

The 80 ft Nasty is a favorite of mine these were a Special Operations Boat I knew of only two and they were used to infiltrate the north. I don’t believe these were attached to the river assault force but I am no expert.

Jim Nunn
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah..........Jack at brownwater said the same thing about the armor.

But after seeing kooklik's railing(s) out of copper, it gave me some ideas:twisted:

You know this is an under publicized/appreciated aspect of the Viet Nam war............ most people have heard of the PBR's but not so much on the other boats that gave the VC so much heartburn! (Zippo boat pun intended!)

I hope I can do these boats justice. I've got a few reference books coming in and with Jack's site and help for you and the other guys here maybe we can shead a little light on this very important part of our history.

6. rickstef

rickstef Guest

depending on the scale you are going to design these boats in, are you also planning on adding HAL-3?

7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Rick............... HAL-3? Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 3?
  8. rickstef

rickstef Guest

that would be correct sir
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Had not even thought of that but you know.................. a Brown Water fleet would not be a bad thing.

Scale could be a problem, but nothing for a stepper. My orginal thought was maybe doing them in 1/35 to match armor, but if we go with Helicopters........... we would have to pick a smaller scale......... 1/48 or 1/72.

Even 1/72 would lead to some big ships................. but it's a good idea.

Here's a profile for those who are wondering
  10. rickstef

rickstef Guest

11. rickstef

rickstef Guest

I was thinking about your scale issue.

you could always go down to 1:100, a common boat/ship scale
    and if you add aircraft, they would not be too hard to handle in that scale

12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

It's a thought........ 1/100 of a 56' CCB or Monitor comes in at 6.72 inches.

I could always design it bigger and then re-scale and post sheets.
  13. rickstef

rickstef Guest

plus you could entice wargamers too