British tram layout

johnz

Jan 4, 2006
All,

This is my first posting to "THE GAUGE" I am building a layout that will only have trams running on it. It will be a simple twin oval track based in London around 1950.I hope to post a few photos of the layout over the next few months. I have to build the trams from metal and plastic kits. Some of the models are only as paper kits. Has anyone got any experience assembling paper models?

Kind regards

johnz

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hello Johnz, may I welcome you to the gauge,

I saw your post yesterday, but got tied up , I was hoping others may have had experience with paper modeling , but building trams is rare breed of modeler.

So I for one hope you will keep us up to speed with you modeling these wonderful Brit trams.
? are you planning overhead as well? dummy or Live?

I am expat from Manchester and love the old Tram and Trolley days, I worked the last trolleys that ran up Ashton new rd June 1966 the last one ran New Years Eve 1966.
I was there to see her run out of Hyde rd Dept

Just a bit of triv. :thumb:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
No experience with paper models, but a little using cardstock. Pretty easy to work with, but it requires a lot of bracing to prevent warping. Perhaps you could use the paper kit parts as patterns to fashion new parts from styrene, which is very easy to work with and is not susceptible to humidity like paper. If you're building the trams from metal and plastic kits, this shouldn't be any more difficult.
By the way, welcome to the Gauge, and please keep us posted on your progress.

Wayne