British post WWWII aircraft

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by malachite, Jan 14, 2005.

1. malachite

malachite Member

I am a fairly new hand to this forum lark but have been building card models for quite some time and have noticed that there is a deficit of models depicting, what I believe to be among the most aesthetic aircraft ever designed, namely British aircraft from the mid 40s to mid 60s. I have trawled the internet and card model suppliers and cannot find examples of any of the following:-
    deHavilland Dove/Heron, deHavilland Venom/Vixen, DH86? (like the Dragon Rapide but 4 engined), Gloster Javelin, Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer S2B, Supermarine Scimitar, BAC TSR-2 and the English Electric Canberra to name but a few. Or even the uncharted area of flying boats.
    Why is this area of aviation history such a wilderness?
    Is there anyone out there who knows of the availability of any or all of the named models or perhaps a designer looking for new subjects to model.
  2. Swinger

Swinger Member

As far as I know, none of them have ever been published in Poland. This period in general (I mean not only as for British aircrafts) is somehow underestimated...
  3. nx13688

nx13688 Member

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

There are a few from Wilhelmshaven and Geli made a vampire kit. Overall I agree post war birds are few and far between. Nobi makes an excellant attacker. I personally would like to see more of the post war and korean war carrier birds of all nationalities but one thing you can learn from this site, if you are patient someone will come up with exactly what you want sooner or later.
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I agree.......... this time period seems to be lacking. Except for Nobi. The Attacker is a very good model from this time period. AND it represents both British and the exported Pakistan version for the same money. Good model and good deal!
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

I like this period...,

7. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

I agree. For starters the Schreiber DH89 Dragon Rapide is a very good model to build as is in 1/24 or even enlarge to 1/16.

For a time there, a couple of months back, I was dead set on scratch-building the four-engined DH86 Express, using the Schreiber DH Rapide as a base and generally adapting fuselage, wings, etc. I purchased a book with photos of all DH86 Express liners ever produced (none of them extant which may be one of the reasons why there are no good models), and also good three-view drawings (better than any to be had on the internet; I've searched as extensively as I've been able to).

So, if anybody REALLY feels like going off the deep end, I've got some material which I will gladly share and/or participate in developing. It will have to be a very long-term project indeed. On the plus side is the fact that the Schreiber DH 89 engines could probably be used as is, which is a boon, since those are the most difficult parts to model.

Also, if anybody has a really good internet site on the DH86 Express (with three-view drawings) you know whom to tip off...

8. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Avro Vulcan

Fly Model makes an Avro Vulcan in 1/33. It wan't on your list... but it is one of the most impressive aircraft of that era (of any nationality). It even made an appearance in James Bond's 'Thunderball' of 1965.

9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

And they hid it underwater...........

Very Cool plane, for anytime frame! I would like to see a 1/24 scale of it!

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy malachite,

There is a free model of the de havilland Vampire F1 here:
    Although I have never built it. The build method is not something I am accustomed to although I am sure it builds to a nice bird.

anyway, just thought I would point that one out to ya'll.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  11. ms502

ms502 New Member

12. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

1/24 Vulcan

13. treestoart

treestoart Guest

You can find reprints of Micromodels/Modelcraft set H1 Flying Boats - Sunderland and Catalina,if you like them tiny.
  14. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Great!!! I've been looking for a Vamp for a long time. Hmmmm...421 or 410 Sqn colours...

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

16. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi GW,

I was just musing as to which scheme I would re-colour it, fortunately all the RCAF Vamps were silver so a lot of the work is already done for me. I notice that there is a Meteor on the site too. Now if someone would just do a decent CF-100 ( preferably a MKIII or IV)...

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

18. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Leif, check your pms!

tim P
  19. malachite

malachite Member

Vampire F1

Wow, more posts on my subject. I was about to give up that anyone was still looking at my list - there's hope for us all.
    I will download this model and give it a try, time permitting. What I would appreciate is a translation of the web page and instructions - can anyone help?
    By the way I have purchased a copy of a Gloster Javelin GA5 in 1:66 scale published in Holland in 1954 by Emsco-Bouwplaten. This also needs translation of the instructions to see if any parts require reinforcement etc.
    Any thoughts about infringement of copyright after 51 years, if I were to scan the model and offer it free to my fellow modellers.
    And Nobi, if you read this, how about a Buccaneer?

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy malachite,

Well, I wont even touch the copyright issue, but as for the translations, I might can steer ya in a direction to help you.
    For common languages, go to , then to the right of the "search box" click language tools for an online translator.
    For more "obscure" languages, you might try this site: This site offers many languages like russian, Dutch, Korean etc.
    Hope this helps,

Have a good day,

Greg aka GW