British N-Scale layout

swissjohn

Jan 3, 2003
Cheshire, England
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
When Gavin (Miller) recently showed us his excellent balsa wood bridge project it made me think of a British N-scale layout that I once built.
On my layout I too had a balsa wood bridge but it was much smaller and I modelled it as being “under construction” with cranes and building workers.
The layout was built around 3 walls of a tiny storeroom and measured about 5 x 5 x 6 feet. It consisted of a mainline terminus station with the tracks disappearing into a tunnel and descending to a lower level where there were staging sidings and a return loop.
Rolling stock was from the 1980’s and early 90’s but so that I could run my earlier steam and diesel locos I also incorporated a short “end to end” museum railway with its own station and loco depot.
I have recently found some old photos of the layout that I dismantled about 12 years ago to make space for the first of my Swiss layouts. Hope you enjoy them.

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 340

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
To think that this layout no longer exists. I know we all go through that at one time or another but this shows your fine workmanship John. I am pleased to see that I am not the only one that has a castle on my layout.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
That looks like one fine layout, John!
I love the castle! What a great idea that was!
Hope you don't mind, but I played around with the color levels in that 2nd photo...

Attachments

• depot.jpg
    depot.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 216
Hi John. I've been busy lately and haven't visited these pages for a while, but it was good to come back and see such quality workmanship. You are indeed a master craftsman.

Loved the bridge "under construction". Might try something like that myself one day. We always seem to have everything in its "completed" state on our layouts but in life something is always under construction or being demolished.

Other ideas:-
Building under construction (with cranes etc)
Disused railroad (with or without tracks) I've done this one.

Gavin