Bristol Board

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by KenG, Dec 18, 2006.

1. KenG

KenG New Member

I'm considering building a Halinski P-40. In going over the instructions, I see several different paper thicknesses mentioned. The one I'm not sure about is "bristolboard". What is it's thickness (I've heard Halinski models need to have the thickness right on or it won't build right). I found the internet that Bristol comes in 2-ply or 4-ply, but can't find what thickness a ply is. This is my third model, first two trashed. Help please!:???:
  2. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I've got the same model, but haven't started it yet. I'm slooowly building the Paper Aircraftwerks P-40B among other models. Normally most folks here use 67 lb cardstock (160gsm I think) for the skins, and simply build up to the required thickness by gluing two or more sheets together for the formers. I find cereal boxes to be good starter for formers and glue typing paper or card stock (depending on final thickness) to it. Also, scan your model and print off two copies so that you have spare parts in case of a mistake. This way you don't ruin your original hardcopy. Good luck.
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

to get your right thickness measure one of the gaps in the formers with a calipers (or similar) right on the paper. That is the exact final thickness you need. I like to get that thickness by laminating 110 lb cardstock together until its achieved. Keep in mind the thickness of the paper you printed your parts on in addition to the cardstock you are creating to get the final thickness.
  4. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

When I was younger and using such things, Bristol Board was what Manila folders were made of. That is what related documents were kept in in filing cabinets. Virtual folders are very difficult to cut, bend and glue!:twisted: You could buy it in sheets of several sizes in office supply stores. I believe the common thickness was double ply.

I'm really not sure what Bristol Board is now, since the creamy tan color wouldn't work in card modelling unless there was no white in the model.

Got an update for an old man?

5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I used to use Bristol Board. It does delaminate if bent hard. I would think building up with card stock would be better and it is really expensive, considering what a reem of 110 lb. card stock costs. It has a shiny side to it that didn't like glue too much.
  6. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Bob: You can usually buy Bristol Board , size 9 x 12 in pads, pure white at a good art suppy store. The stuff I like to use is by Strathmore. It is 110lb, 2-ply, and comes in either the matte (vellum) or shiny finish. You can also buy it in 24 x 30 sheets and cut it down. If you go to Mister Art, Dick Blick, or other national art dealers, you should be able to find it.

Check this link:
  7. KenG

KenG New Member

Thanks to everyone for the help!:) Chris, of course:oops: , wait until I get to that part and measure the thickness of the space it goes into. I just wonder why Halinski specified *=.5mm, **=1mm and +=Bristolboard (I have the english translation sheet)? Why not just specify the thickness again? Maybe something was lost in the translation.
    Thanks again for the advice everyone. Ken
  8. josve

josve Active Member

For 0,5mm just use cornflakes boxes or similar :)
    0,5 and 1mm are the most common thicknesses.
  9. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

Michaels sells Bristol Board, and I would imagine so does A.C. Moore.

Caution though- I've found variations in thickness, even within the same sheet.

Incidentally, those places usually also sell grey chip board. That's a good alternative.

And, while we're at it - many folks use spray glue to laminate the sheets, but that tends to be smelly and messy. Try Elmer's glue sticks and be surprised ;)

10. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Just to add to Swiftwords comments, I recently bought the Pentel glue roller (the store didn't have the Elmer's glue stick) and I find that it spreads the glue very evenly due to the tread pattern on the roller. It dries quickly too. Might be worth looking into. I'll have to look at my Halinski kit to see what the bristol board thing is all about.
  11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I got bronchitis once from using a spray glue. I thought I had good ventilation but didn't. I didn't know Bristol Board 2-ply was 110 lb. stock equivalent. I guess unless your making something really big it is the expensive way to go.
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Was there a virus in your spray glue??? :p

You might have irritated your bronchial tubes with the fumes but I doubt if it gave you bronchitis :)

13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

That's what bronchitis is. There are many things that can give you Bronchitis. Allergic reactions can do it. Allergies can do it. When one is sensitized to chemicals after exposure to them for a long time a small exposure could cause Bronchitis. Smoking can do it. Pollution can do it Here is a good definition:

The infections come after the swelling and build up of mucous. The reaction of the Bronchial tubes to the irritant cause a build up of mucous which is a breeding ground for infection. Unless the doctors who have treated me are wrong.
  14. jdmcomp

jdmcomp New Member

Bristol board does have uses but not for paper models. Use cardstock which is a much finer product. Think of bristol as mushier, softer, and crude.
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

thanks for the correction zathros :) its good to know!
  16. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I used to get Bronchitis a lot when I was a machinists. We used a sunflower based coolant the was sprayed as a mist. I didn't realize until I stopped working at Sikorsky's that that was messing with my lungs. Lungs are pretty resilient though. I don't smoke so they cleared up really well. I rarely have problems like that unless I get really sick or work on dusty stuff. I use a dust mask a lot these days. All I need is the silver glove and I would be a Micheal Jackson clone. Except that I am way fatter, lighter complexion (earlier Michael Jackson) and don't have the affinity for children that he does, if you know what I mean.
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

we wont go there ;) heh heh