Bristol Blenheim, GPM, 1:33

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by fuchsjos, Jun 9, 2005.

1. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

Hello, comrades!

I'm new in this forum, so allow, to say some words about my person.
    My name is Josef and I live with my wonderful wife (and two cats) in Vienna, the capital town of Austria in the heart of Europe. My english is not very well, so please excuse all mistakes, style, word changing, miswording and all misusing phrases.

In my boyhood (now I'm 47 years old) I was a enthusiastic modelbuilder, building nearly all models of Geli (an austrian papercard company). After some excursions to plastic- and other modeling areas I must stop this entertainment for reason of job, family and missing time. One year ago I revitalize this hobby and to see, how much I have unlearn, I try to build the Bristol Bleneheim of GPM.

Unfortunatly I don't know very much about forums and online presence, therefore there are no pictures of the building process. I was really surprised about the very strong presence about cardmodeling in europe and overseas in the internet.

But I have taken many fotos of the ready model and want to show you my 'debut feature'. In an unusual manner I will show you my mistakes, because it is best to learn by mistakes of others.

The big glassfront (wintergarden?) was the eyecatcher, why I choose this model, because I want to deep draw the cockpit. Useable foil with thickness of 0,2 mm was available in special shops for plastics, but packing material of many products is also good to use. It is only important, that the material is thermoplactic (able to form by heat). As a male form I used a copy of the inner cockpit parts (B1, B2, B4) and build them together, without cutting out the windows. To strengthen the form I made a former with a hole in the middle and glued it to the open end. After adjusting to the following body part (A3), I outpour the form with hot, liquid wax; the result was a relatively strong form.
    The paper was a little bit destructed for handling by hands, but on the pictures (macro), it looks worser than in reality.

After that, I heat the foil with a hotairgun and put it quickly over the form. You can't do the whole form in one step by this methode, but you get every time a correct piece and after some repetitions you habe enough pieces to make the cockpit. Cut the pieces in a way to cover the edges with the border of the windows.
    It would be better for me, to use another material than wax, because the heat of the foil makes it a little bit liquid and smear the foil on the innerside. So it was necessary to start an orgy of window cleaning (my wife said no and I have to do it by myself). Next time I will use some art of liquid ceramic. The windows are not perfect clear, but I think it's not so disturbing, the transparency was reducing by scale.

Some very little windows were made of cellophan from cigarettes packages - not a good idea, very transparent, but also very easy to crumple. The skylight is moveable - at that time sliding roofs were still existing! The very thin inner panaling of the cockpit was not manageable, so I did it with color. The instruments looks nicely and the detailing of the cockpit is not so bad.

The levers and the steering stick were made of paper and the handles were strenghten with Wicoll (PMA glue?) and colored with watercolor.

2. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

The wheels were prim of wood, available as accessory by Gomic/GPM.
    The slideway of the hydraulic cylinder was made of a thin strip aluminium foil to show the chromium plating.

The inner cover of the wheel-box, to make with thinn paper, was too fuzzy, so I colored them. At the underneath near by the bombs cover you can see a little mistake in the printing - the sheetgap shows a hook.

In this picture you can see a problem with the fitting accuracy. The roll-ailerone is not in correct place, unfortunatly this is by the right wing, which is the better one. The problems with the left wing I tell you by the right picture.

Here you can see the right wing in top down sight. The roll-ailerone is in right place and the rounding of the wingtips is satisfactorily. The green positionlight becomes more importance by using of some color.

The wing crossover was glued with wallpaper paste, which is very good for such parts.

3. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

A look to the front - I love this soft gull-wing. The wheelstopper were a little scratchbuild by me, my first selfmade etching parts.

The antenna restraint was not an accident, it's really unsymetric. The base plate, the plane is standing on, is part of a selfmade showcase, to avoid dust and cat attack. My cats are hindered combat pilots, wants to use the plane for hunting birds (but the don't own an aviator licence).

Another look to the front, you can see the wings and tailplane rudder geometry. Typically for this plane are the buckles on the engine covers.

A look to the right (the better) side. See the buckles on the cover of the radial engine. The antenna is made of multifil fishingline. Isolators and bracing were made of drops of white glue. In the fin I place a little ring of wire for the antenna.

The good-looking side from front. Exhaust pipe made of paper, only some cosmetic by coloring.

4. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

Now we come to the left side. I used too much glue to the mainformer of the wing and used too much force by mounting. So the former is still in sight at the upperside of the wing. Also there was a big dent at the wingtip, that was essential to repair. I cut the surface of the wing like a 'U' and repair the dent with a little piece of wire. After this I glued the repaired place and it now looks like a provisorily repaired shot hole.
    The right wing I did in another way. I didn't use any glue to connect the formers and the wing surface. Only the outer edges of the wing where glued together with a little bit of wallpaper paste. Fix it with a lot of clothespins a let dry overnight. Works very good and the back flange of the wing was perfect straight and stable. Every builder of plane models know the problems at this parts and the difficulty to avoid a moved wing.

Here you see the described mistake clearer. I think, that the polish publisher GPM had made a awkward mistake in the printing of this kit. I have discovered the mistake by working with the fotos. On left side you can read the identification G*VA, whereas an right side you can read G*AV, they have changed the last two characters. I'm not an expert for british planes, but I don't think, that this is correct.

A look at the motor nacelle and the landing gear.

The back wheel made of wood. Pitch elevator and yaw rudder were build moveable, but at finish I glued them in place (stability!).

The xxxx (I don't know the english word) in detail. The roof was crumpled by the luckless methode of wax-form. This picture show also how mercilessly the view of a macro camera could be, not dust and no fringes with normal eyes viewable.

5. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

The xxxx from the back. You could see the printing of the camouflage by the change from one part to an other is quite good. The xxxx ist turnable.

The symmetrie at a look from behind. The yaw rudder is moved a little, but this part was the most difficault of the model, because it was necessary to round it to three directions and paper doing something strange things, if you overact it with rounding.

The gun in the wing is complete made of paper (and color). It would be easier and I love to work with - metal, but it is also possible to make it in paper, also more difficult. Take a closer look at the front edge of the engine cover. There are two rounded parts, one in the other, really good fitting accuracy - couldn't be better.

The waist of the bird shows the typical color of british planes - duckegg-green. Also this picture show the danger of modeling at hot summer days. Wet (sweat) fingers and much handling is not so good to paper. I think the bird have to shave his waist.

A closer look to the right engine. The propeller is pivoted with a pin.

6. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

A look to the left engine top view. The fitting of the parts is outstanding - good work of the designer.

A last one - finish - the end.

'Servus' from Vienna
    Josef (fuchsjos)

7. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

I'd have to say that your time away from the hobby hasn't hurt your skills one bit. That is a gorgeous model. :) With the exception of the aileron, the mistakes you point out, I can't even see. She's a beautiful bird!

Thanks for sharing your experience and insight with us.

8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Beautiful build!

Tim P
  9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Very beautiful work there. Absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!
  10. popala

popala Member

Herzlich Wilkommen Josef!

Great job.

Was the model coated with something (laquer)? If so, would you mind telling us what did you use and your method of coating (brush, airbrush etc).
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Dang man if you been off awhile and still turn out work like this....................W O W !!!! :D

I've always liked this plane and you have done a very good job with your build. I seems that the actual workhorses of the war don't get the glory that "movie" planes do.

Way more P-40s built/used than P-51Ds. Same with Blenheim.

Once again VERY good build. Thanks for showing it off and you MUST post some tips too! :wink:

12. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Wow! :shock:
    That is an outstanding build Fuchsjos. The plane looks great. I agree with Popala in asking if you coated it with something. It has a very nice looking glimmer to it. Thank you for sharing your photos with us!
  13. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

Hello friends!

Thank you very much for the friendly welcome and the nice compliments about my work. I'm very glad and happy to share my work with like-minded people all around the world.

@popala, @bfam4t6:
    I have coated the finished model with airbrush and colorless, semigloss acrylic paint. For it I had to mask the glasses, much work, but necessary to protect the model for dust and fingerprints.

After my long break of modeling, I have also finished another model. But this one is a very different model. I take a papermodel of a big gun (sIG-33) and use it as a base for a new construction of a scratchbuild, made of selfmade etching parts. I don't know if it is interesting for you, because it is no basic paperwork. I could show the whole working process and I can also show a thread to make etching parts by yourself.

Presently I'm building the Willys Jeep of Modelik in 1:24. For this project I also use some selfmade etching parts, but much more paper parts of the kit. Admittedly the paperparts were used in unusally way, because I use colors (airbrush).

To show you, what I'm meaning look at the pictures.

sIG-33 (schweres Infanteriegeschütz 33), Answer, 1:25
    Scratchbuild, made of metal (etching parts - brass 0,3 mm)

Willy Jeep, Modelik, 1:33
    Motor, made of paper, coloring with arcrylic paint (airbruch)

Is this interesting for you? :?:
  14. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Josef, this is some of the best work I've seen for a very long time, and you must know it. I just finished reading about the plane and viewing all those delightful photos, and then you top it off with the Jeep engine. Not only flawless, but beautiful! I hope you will consider sharing more of your tradecraft, which surely must be an inspiration to all!

Salute! - Leif

PS. Josef, I strongly encourage you to enter the Blenheim in the JRTS aircraft competition. You've already done the building report, the only thing that remains is to enter three images and a few lines here. I haven't seen anything that says the judges would be anything but happy about a late entry of this quality.
  15. Gil

Gil Active Member

You asked whether this was interesting to us? Your work is fascinating in it's ability to render reality into the small World of models. I, for one, am impressed with it and would like to see as much of it as is possible.

Please keep up the good work and most of all keep posting!

Warmest regards, Gil
  16. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

Thank you very much for the nice words. The competition is a good idea, but not at this time and not with this plane, because I think, it's not my best work, - perhaps next time.

I have read your report about the Aircobra and must say, you have done a very good job. It's really beautiful and the skill factor for the changing to such a great scale is very high.

Kindly regards,
  17. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

Dear Gil,

Thank you for the compliments about my work. I will try to show some more work of mine, but have to require more wbspace first (for the pictures), because the space of my homepage is full (fuller, fullest ... ).
    In a week or two I will start with a thread about the work on my Willys Jeep.

Friendly greetings from Vienna
  18. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well Josef,

I think you're way to critical of your own work! I wish I could get even one piece of a model to look as good as your models do. Your jeep engine is amazing!

I think you could probably be ranked in the top 95% of the builders on this site if not higher. I think it would be a shame not to enter your blenheim in the competition.

But wether you enter it or not it's still a beautiful model.
  19. Gil

Gil Active Member

Try the following site for posting photos. It allows thumbnails on the posting site but doesn't load the forum site down. It's free and works wonderfully.

20. blitzbob

blitzbob New Member

what a wonderful model, i have the kit unmade. i think your model has given me the push i need to start mine.