Bristol Beaufighter TF.MK.X

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by josve, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

The words may be inspiring............. but your as always great build work says way more than the words we can use!

Besides I've seen your plane work before and requardless, it is on par with your armor work!

I just got a "new" old magazine in with some pictures of Beaufighter parts if you need some references, holler and I'll scan the pics for ya.

Keep it up........... this is some of the best free advertisement for Gee's work that I seen in a long time. I know he appreciates it!

2. josve

josve Active Member

hello guys!!

I think there is something wrong with the markings here....
    If you look at the pic it says T-MB....shouldnt it have been MB-T??
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

4. wings

wings New Member

I used the Tamiya Beaufighter kit as a reference. That is how the instruction sheet shows it. It would be great if anyone can find a photo of the actual aircraft's starboard side.

5. josve

josve Active Member

Here is two. The MB-X and MB-Y

And of course I should have noticed it before I started the build....and let you know Gee.But sometimes the head just dont react until later on ,then suddenly....eureka!
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Now, heres an interesting story.

The rockets on the above picture are 28lb solid steel warheads, with a double ogive nose shape. These were developed from the earlier 25lb solid items, which had a simple curved nose. This warhead was originally designed for use against tanks. The more familiar bulbous 60lb explosive warhead was designed for use against, amongst other things, U-Boats. Well, rockets are not the most accurate of weapons, and it was noticed that point targets were hardley ever hit by the armour-piercing 25lb devices, but the explosive power of what was close to a 5 inch artillery shell would make a mess of most tanks even if it didn't hit them.

Even wierder, it was discovered that the curved nose of the solid warheads did interesting things when it hit water, and caused the rocket to curve upwards back towards the surface. This meant that even if a shot fell short of its ship or submarine target, it would curve through the water and travel more or less parallel to the surface, and not just plunge into the depths. Result, big hole in the side of the target, a disaster for a U-boat, and pretty damaging for any other vessel; the rocket motor carried on burning even after the bulk of the power was spent.

The 28lb warhead had a longer profile to improve this underwater characteristic.

So, the anti shipping rockets were used extensively on non-maritime targets, while the anti tank version was used almost exclusively against subs and ships.

7. josve

josve Active Member

interesting Tim!
    I'm impressed about the knowledge you have guys!
    You are living encyclopedias :)
  8. wings

wings New Member

Thanks Johnny for the photos. Unless an actual photo of the said aircraft is shown with its starboard lettering, we can assume that the Tamiya instructions are wrong. So I will make the necessary corrections and post the file for download in a few days. I apologize for the inconvenience.

9. josve

josve Active Member

That will be great Gee!
    I'm not going to start over again, I have come too far in the build,so I just have to remember to take pics from the right side :)
  10. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I did a little checking and found this pic of the starboard side:
    Starboard side MB-T
    It is an aircraft from 236 Squadron.

The site seems to be a Spanish one. Here is the main site:
    Maybe this info will be of some help.:)
  11. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Careful, careful...... Different aircraft, notice the serial numbers are not the same. Different period, earlier, invasion stripes. The MB bit refers to the squadron, the T to an aircraft in the squadron, but as aircraft were damaged, replaced, moved to different squadrons, the lettering could, and did, change. Of course, a lot of aircraft didn't last long enough to get even one new coaut of paint! The MB-T presentation was brought in after the invasion stripes were added, so other crews had some way of identifying each other in combat. In the conventional pplacing, they would have been almost entirely covered by the invasion stripes, which were put on to prevent 'blue-on-blue'.
    Perhaps nowadays British tanks and armoured vehicles in the Gulf should be painted in black and white stripes......

12. josve

josve Active Member

My point here was that we should read MB-T from each side
    The other markings seems just fine according to the real MB-T

I'm not sure why I didn't see this at once....but I should.
    So when Gee fixes it, everybody are happy :)
  13. wings

wings New Member

14. josve

josve Active Member

Thanks Gee!!
  15. malachite

malachite Member

Just caught up with this thread and I must admit I missed the backward markings as well. Has anyone else also noticed the the second version also appears to have the same error?
    Will we be getting an update sheet for that one as well????
  16. wings

wings New Member

I'll do some research. If there is an error, there will indeed be a revision.

17. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

Any news?

Any news about this build and the model too?

Thanks, Nando
  18. josve

josve Active Member

It's still under construction,I'll post some new shots of the progress soon :)
  19. furman

furman Member

Wow - this poor guy really put alot into the MB-T / T-MB to come out wrong...

go to:

and click on:

Ceki Erginbas is here from Turkey to begin this special Turkish update with his 1/48 Bristol Beaufighter Mk.X. This is a very detail Beaufighter and Celi won a first place award. His article tells the step by step story and includes many photos
  20. damraska

damraska Member

Given the fuselage sections involved, it might be possible to print the new parts (with corrected markings) on very thin paper, like copy paper, and place them over the panels already in place. The paper is thin enough that it would not introduce much of a stairstep at the panel line. There would be a small gap at the bottom of the fuselage, since you are forcing the panel segments into a larger circumferance than intended, but some quick work in an art program would solve that problem.

If you do go this route, do not put glue all over the new panels. Spot glue instead, so as not to distort the thin paper. I recommend trying the technique on another simple fuselage, to get the hang of it, before application to your very nice model.