Brindza Mine #2

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
Here's a scene I finished about a year ago on our club layout. The mine tipple is scratch built using styrene walls and roof, Grandt Line windows and doors and it sits on wooden piers. The outhouses are Grandt Line and the gray stone building is an ERTL kit. The retaining walls and coke ovens are scribed on foam board and then painted. The viewer isn't close enough to tell the difference since the scene is about three feet from the isle.

It's named after a past club president.

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
I built it as a diorama based on a piece of flakeboard (I think that's what it's called) I cut to fit the area. That allowed me to work on the scene at home where I had my tools and gave me much easier access to everything. I hot glued the cardboard scenery profiles and would later hot glue 1" cardboard strips between them to form the base for the scenery. The wooden blocks on the left of the scene are to form the hillside that holds the tipple supports.

Notice the light colored squares of plywood next to the track. There are Tortoise machines under these that control the crossover switches. We changed from coil to Tortoise machines after the track was in and ballasted and things were too tight under the track to mount the machines in the traditional way. Anyway, little lift-outs had to be made for access to these machines.

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
Once all the hillside was shaped and a cardboard road was in place I covered it all with plaster impregnated gauze. The space in the middle is where the coke ovens were to go. They are modeled as being abandoned and overgrown. The plaster was painted before the ground foam went down.

One of the switch machine lift-outs is in place and one is missing.

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
Here's a jump ahead to where I had most of the ground cover and trees down. There are some light spots where more scenery needed to be added. The tipple buildings go on top of the wood frames. This picture was taken at my house. Building this on the workbench made it much easier.

The gray stone building is sitting in the middle of one of the lift-outs and is the handle for lifting it out.

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
Here's a view from the southwest. The red chimney on the right is the handle for the second lift-out.

All the scenery for about five feet on either side of the mine scene is now complete and we're working on the foreground.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
George I can only echo the praises already posted and say that this WILL be how I do my scenery in the future instead of hanging over the layout. I guess you must keep good notes on what you used to scenick so the blending in is easier?Pat

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks for the additional pictures George! I always like seeing how projects looked in the beginning compared to the end. By the way, that's one of the larger water scenes I've come across. Neat details along the shoreline. I also see a barge and the hint of an ore dock to the right.....now I want to see more of that structure! :)
Ralph