Brill Motor Car drawings

rlundy90

Oct 2, 2007
Anola, Manitoba, Canada
Hi hmas. I'm not sure if they are the same or not.The one I want to model belongs to the Greater Winnipeg Water District railway. It was bought new in 1922 and is still in use today. Heres a couple of pics of it. One in the old yellow and black scheme and one in the new red and black. Was looking at some pictures of the original car just now, that were taken in the early 30's. There have been quite a few changes to the car since then.All or most of the windows are changed as well as the trucks. These look like they may be off an alco switcher.Thanks, Ron.

Attachments

• gwwd32s[1].jpe
    gwwd32s[1].jpe
    9.3 KB · Views: 50
  • GWWD_Rly[1].jpg
    GWWD_Rly[1].jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 8

rlundy90

Oct 2, 2007
Anola, Manitoba, Canada
That car is almost identicle. Where was it taken? It looks like a nice original Brill car. The only difference I can see is the length of the hood where the radiator sits. It may just be that it is a bit newer model with different engine.The one I am modelling is actually made by Service Motor Truck Co. from Wabash, Ind. Brill designed the car in conjunction with Service and bought out the rights to the car in 1922. It was originally purchased for $16,000.00. Here are a few pics of the car in its original configuration. Seems Railroad Model Craftsman did an article on modelling these cars in the 2005 January issue. I will see if I can pick one up here as will cost me $14.00 from RMC. Too much for 1 article that may not even be what I am looking for. Thanks for the pics, Ron.

Attachments

• scan0021.jpg
    scan0021.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 7
  • scan0020.jpg
    scan0020.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 6

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi Ron, That article was written by a friend of mine, Blake Tatar. So, it was one of the few issues I knew I could find easily! The article won't be of much help I'm afraid, as it details modifying and painting a brass model to represent an Erie railcar. Apparently there were no known color photos of this car, so he goes on for a bit about using tones of black and white photos to determine a shade of red (comparing to caboose photos, passenger cars photos, etc also in black and white) where color photos also exist. He adds quite a bit of detail but it may be specific to Erie. There are no drawings.

In the event you are interested in info on the brass model, it is an MTS Imports model, in HO

rlundy90

Oct 2, 2007
Anola, Manitoba, Canada
Thanks for the info on the drawings Ray. Turns out I just bought that issue with a bunch of other mags at a train show this weekend. Didn't even know I had it. The drawings are in O scale but I can resize them easy enough. Also door and window placement is different but as long as I have outside dimensions the rest should be easy. Thanks Gary for the info on that article. Would have just wasted my time looking for it. Thanks again everyone, Ron

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Hmm...I recall an article about building a Brill Car from scratch in an old issue of MR...

Ah yes...July 1998...pg 98...but it is a Model 350. Regardless, that might help you in construction.