Bridge Pier Project

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Rusty Spike, May 29, 2004.

1. Rusty Spike

Rusty Spike Member

I'm always looking for ways to model RR stuff with scrap. These are "scaled" for HO - the final is a mock up, the piers will go elsewhere.

I did note that the joint lines I carved are very large and the coloring doesn't quite capture what I was looking for. Oh well, I just hope to get things a little better each time I try.

Attached Files:

2. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

:wave: Perhaps the lines may be a little wide but capture at a glance the intent. In old days rock masons did a lot of the rock work and did have wider mortors to compensate for the imperfections. I think it looks just fine. It get the point across. Good work my friend. :thumb: :thumb: Jim
  3. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Cool! :thumb:
  4. jonno w

jonno w New Member

re bridge piers

Don't hide them, mate, they're splendid. I find spindly detail disappears. Those good, fat, chunky rocks convey plenty of bridge supporting mass. I love 'em:thumb:
  5. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Those are nice piers, and that nasty boxcar is really dirty, typical UP maintance. :D What are they made from? FRED
  6. Rusty Spike

Rusty Spike Member

Soft brick - extras from a basement wall that had to go to make room for more trains. It's the very soft brick from way back - cut the blanks on the chop saw, then carved them.

I did tame down the brightness of the joints with some ground up pencil lead and a small paint brush - I'm more satisfied now. I need to carve one more pier that supports the last ballasted deck bridge and one end of the Walther's single track truss kit - hopefully I'll finish the honey do list early in the day and have some time to tinker with that.

Thanks for the kind words. . .
  7. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Geeze, what you gonna carve next, some old concrete sidewalk? :D I'm now very impressed. :thumb: Carving a brick sounds very hard and tetious. :thumb: FRED
  8. jimmybeersa

jimmybeersa Member

make do with whats available

Rusty...I am all for making do with anything that comes to hand I like the brick Sculptures alot One small suggestion weather them with a light Black- alcohol wash lets have a look at them when they are in place
  9. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

A six pack of thumbs for them babies!

Those look great!!! :wave:
  10. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Well, I think you did a really nice job on those piers. :thumb: Stonework looks excellent. :wave:

11. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

You made them from bricks!?! Wow!!! I think they look terrific!
  12. Rusty Spike

Rusty Spike Member

These are not modern bricks - you can pound nails in them, cut them with a sawzall, and in this case, carve them with an old jig saw blade. They are softer than soft sandstone.

Jimmy, I did hit the light colored joints with my favorite substance for griminess - the ground up pencil lead in the bottom of the family pencil sharpener - then I gave them a quick "misting" with my flat brown railroad tie weathering spray paint - they are much more subdued now, I'll post some pics later after I get the kids in bed.

I finished the honey-do list = new kitchen sink installed - so I hope to build that last pier yet tonight too.
  13. Rusty Spike

Rusty Spike Member

I guess I haven't posted what this is all a part of yet. I have the whole basement for my trains - we live in a 130 year old farmhouse - the basement is a little moist and the headroom is low so it's not good for much else (yeah!).

Here are some pics of how things are coming together - this is my 3rd major re-build in 4 years.

Attached Files:

14. Rusty Spike

Rusty Spike Member

Close up of the newly touched up piers:

Attached Files:

• BPs4.jpg
      File size:
      66.2 KB
  15. pdt

pdt Member

Awesome! How ingenious of you. And they look good, too. I can't believe how much I'm learning here. It seems none of you is afraid to try any technique with any material.
  16. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Could call it the "Jethro Tull" Bridge. :D :cool: :eek: :rolleyes:

Well, if it's made outa bricks, then it could be considered to be as thick as one!!! :p :wave: