Bridge pics wanted...Please :-)

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Hello folks; ...a "back Northeast corner" of home H0 layout is shown...first section of rewoked layout.

Rear unit is a wood pile trestle, curved, shortline construction.

Front unit is part of combined deck and girder bridge.
One standard 9"Atlas deck truss, one 14" long deck truss, kitbashed from two standard Atlas units. There are also two spans of Model Power girders, to the right. The "steel" towers are 'scratch-bashed' from Model Power water tower sections, pieces of Kibri and Faller bridge trusses, pieces of miscellaneous styrene and Plastruct, and even a couple of chunks of an old Triang OO automobile car !
regards / Mike:D :D

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Sorry..apparently the pictures of the layout are "KB-excessive". Will see what I can do. Meanwhile, I do have a few custom trestle shots of recent units built for next train show:
HO semi-scale 130' high, 45' high trestle, all maple bents, girts, wall braces. All stripwood ripped in-house.
Pine & maple deck, Atlas code 100 flextrack
234 pieces, 734 glue joints.
regards/ Mike

Attachments

• hotrestle18m03.jpg
    hotrestle18m03.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 275

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
This is H0, semiscale, 130' long, 45' high, with styrofoam and wood filler scenery, no plaster. Masonite profile boards.
Construction is all pine, ripped from a single furniture-grade plank.
219 pieces, 677 glue joints. [ exclusive of scenery].
regards / Mike

Attachments

• hotrestle18ps03a.jpg
    hotrestle18ps03a.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 271

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Last shot is a 24" long curved trestle, 24" radius, all pine construction as before. Deck is spline type roadbed, made with pine strip and birch spacer blocks.
280 pieces, 750 glue joints, Atlas code 100 track installed.

The locomotive is one of those old "widebody Athearn GP-7's"...that body is my original locomotive shell from 1957...but it has a 1966 Athearn gear drive in it !

Attachments

• hotrestle24cp03.jpg
    hotrestle24cp03.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 275

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
OK trying again, photo is "downsized" or however less KB should be said:

Originally posted by Mike R
Hello folks; ...a "back Northeast corner" of home H0 layout is shown...first section of rewoked layout.

Rear unit is a wood pile trestle, curved, shortline construction.

Front unit is part of combined deck and girder bridge.
One standard 9"Atlas deck truss, one 14" long deck truss, kitbashed from two standard Atlas units. There are also two spans of Model Power girders, to the right. The "steel" towers are 'scratch-bashed' from Model Power water tower sections, pieces of Kibri and Faller bridge trusses, pieces of miscellaneous styrene and Plastruct, and even a couple of chunks of an old Triang OO automobile car !
regards / Mike:D :D

Attachments

• homenecorner03.jpg
    homenecorner03.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 260

hi-f

Jan 24, 2003
On the T&OC
Visit site
Bridges

Great bridges, all of these. The best RR bridge I know of is on the north side of Little Rock, Arkansas. It is a mammoth, multi-track lift type. It is so big it has to be seen to be believed. Do any of you Razorbacks have a photo of it to put up here?. Ted

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Greetings from the past

Here's a scratchbuilt wooden truss on my N scale pike which was dismantled 30 years ago.

Ron

Attachments

• fever river bridge half.jpg
    fever river bridge half.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 287

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Here are a couple of scratchbuilt efforts crossing the Badger Creek.
Shamus suggested I name this creek in memory of his old layout.
The trestle is made out of pine strips I cut with my bandsaw. It is held together with white glue.
The double track girder bridge is made out of cardboard. My favourite buildng material.
Some day I will get a better camera!

Attachments

• twinbridge.jpg
    twinbridge.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 263

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Robin,
I'd say your creek deserves the name.:cool: :cool: That's quite a selection of power there, I see "the yellow borg"(UP), and Catt's GVR, but I can't make out the other two, or the steam on the upper level, What are they?
Pete

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Pete, I really must get a better camera so you can see the details. It is embarresing to post such poor quality photos.
The lead loco eastbound is a GP40-2 in MAT colours, number 2105. The loco I interchange with Catt's GVR number 4933 is also a GP40-2. The trailing loco is another GP40-2 in BNSF colours, number 2177. The westbound UP loco is an SD-60M, it is number 2380.
The steam loco on the trestle is a Bachmann 0-6-0 USRA switcher pressed into logging service.
I don't have and shay or climax type locos for the logging section.
Nothing available in N like there is in HO unfortunately. Will have to try scratchbuilding one or two.

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
I have tried to get a better close up using my old SLR camera with a 100mm lens so had to set up the tripod ten feet back. You can see the bridges better and the girder plate deck bridge shows some detail. All it is made of is strips of corrugated cardboard 1 1/4 inch by 10 inches. I then glued strips of cereal box cardboard to give the dimensions of the plates. 3/16th inch strips were glued along the top and bottom. Four of these strips with 5/8 inch dividers make up the two bridges. One for each track. I painted them with acrylic paints. First a coat of burnt sienna then a wash of thinned burnt umber.
girdbdge.jpg

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
This was the trestle as it looked on my previous layout.
trestl2.jpg

Another bridge I scratchbuilt and hope to fit it into my new layout somewhere.
bridge4.jpg

Another of my efforts. This one is based on a bridge over the Fraser River near Vancouver.

bridge5.jpg

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Thank you Robin, for these fine pics!
And thank you for reminding me that cardboard is an often underestimated medium for scratchbuilding. As a youngster I used to do much scratchbuilding with cardboard (buildings, ships, yes, even railroad cars) - high time to give it another try! :D

A question: How did you model the waterfall? It really looks very convincing on the photograph.

(On the same picture) Behind the RR bridge there is another twisted, small bridge for pedestrians (hikers, prospectors), right? And it looks like it was going to tumble down any minute now :eek: :eek: :eek: (a case for Indiana Jones! :D)
Anyway, you gave me another idea with this one. Now let's see, where I could add such a bridge in my landscape... mumble... hmm... :confused:

Ron

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Ron, the waterfall is made out of angel hair that is sold to decorate Christmas trees. I cut a piece of white cardboard into a tie shape and glued the angel hair to it then stuck the whole thing to the cliff. The spray is fibre fill.
In that scene, there is a tourist hotel. Now in my imaginary story, some tourists used to walk out on the railroad bridge to get a better view of the waterfall. This was a major concern of the railroad so the hotel was forced to build that rickety little bridge so tourists would use it instead. Just like at Niagara Falls.