Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Cactus, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Cactus

Cactus Member

I probably just reinvented the wheel, but here goes. I'm just beginning the scratchbuilding business.

I built this structure from balsa wood, but wanted it to be brick. Adobe Illustrator has a brick texture as a standard feature. I filled a rectangle with the texture, imported it to Photoshop and printed it on inkjet photo paper at a reduced size (to make the bricks the right size). I had to do the Photoshop import because I haven't figured out how to make Illlustrator reduce the size of the bricks.

A spray with Dullcote keeps it from being shiny.

Now, if I can find a stone texture....

Attached Files:

• fuel.jpg
      File size:
      79.6 KB
  2. Catt

Catt Guest

I think thats the fun part of kit bashing scratchbuilding (reinventing the wheel that is :D )

Nuther part is after you've reinvented it is telling how you did it so others can learn then do their own reinventing.
  3. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Pretty neat idea Cactus! :cool:
  4. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Very well done Catus, nice looking structure.
  5. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

6. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Great strucure Cactus. What kind of glue did you use to attach the paper to the building?
  7. Cactus

Cactus Member

Thanks for the link, Rich. I'll take a look.

I glued the bricks on with rubber cement. I expect that it won't be permanent, but it's what I had at the time. I needed something that wasn't water based because the bricks are from an ink jet printer.