Brick Painting Help Needed

I recently visited Nevada City, CA and saw the 1861 Fire Station which is still in pretty decent shape. Shortly after returning I was roaming around on the net and came across the same building featured in a Historical Scale Miniatures kit. I just had to have it for the BAD Western and now I do. Unfortunately I think I may be in a bit over my head. The siding is a soft, pliable white plastic sheet (made to glue over heavy cardstock)with a very faint brick pattern impression. I've researched numerous different techniques for painting bricks but am wondering if anybody has actually painted this type of brick surface with good results. I'd be mighty obliged for any suggestions.
Doc

doctorwayne

Sounds like it might be Holgate & Reynolds brick sheets. You can attached it to the cardstock, wood, or styrene using contact cement. For painting, I've had some success by first painting the entire surface a suitable "mortar" colour, and letting it dry completely - at least a couple of days. Then, using an appropriate brick colour and a 1/2" wide flat brush, dry brush the brick paint. Keep the handle of the brush close to the surface of the brick - almost laying down, and don't use too much paint. If the colour isn't dark enough or solid enough, a second coat will yield better results than attempting to put on too much with one coat.

Wayne

Russ Bellinis

Wayne, I've used just the opposite technique on plastic bricks like DPM. The sheets are already made up in brick color, so I thin a mortar colored acrylic paint about 10:1 to make a thin wash, and flood the bricks while they are flat on the bench. I let the wash sit a minute or so and then wipe off the surface of the bricks leaving the "mortar" in the lines between the bricks.

Thanks for the responses and ideas guys. I posted this same question on two different forums and got a total of three replies. I like your idea Wayne, but am not sure I have a steady enough hand.

Russ,
Since these sheets are white, do you think spray painting them brick red first and then applying the thin motar wash would work? One problem may be that they aren't perfectly flat and probably won't be after gluing them to the cardboard sides.

Another thought I had was to try applying the brick color with a flat wooden roller, like used for wallpaper seams. I recently saw printing ink being applied to a printing plate that way. Whadda ya think?

Guess I'n gonna have to just take the plunge and try one of the way and see how it turns out. Good to know that you can buy replacement brick sheets in case I bunk it up.
Doc

doctorwayne

The H&R sheets, I believe, are embossed with the brick pattern, so the mortar lines aren't as deep or as crisply rendered as those on injection moulded brick material - that's why I suggested the dry brushing technique. I suspect that a wash may work, too, but you won't know for sure until you try. Why not cut two small pieces (say 1/2"x1/2") from the sheet and try one method on each - then go with the one that looks best and/or is easiest.

Wayne