Brass steam engine purchase

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by PRR_HO, Oct 4, 2005.

1. PRR_HO

PRR_HO New Member

I am a new member to this board. I was looking to fellow MRR for advise on what they felt was the best Brass engines you could buy. Your opinion on operation and quality of detail is important. I am looking for Manufactures in PRR, in painted and unpainted. Since the Plastic models have become more detailed, and their cost increased, Brass is a little more reasonable. I was wanting to get a couple engines for the quality, scale, and detail appearance. I also will probably run them once and awhile. I have no intentions to mass purchases as a collector. They aren’t that reasonable. Any help and guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jim in MD
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge :wave:

Hands down, dollar for dollar, the Broadway Limited T1s, GG1s and others far out perform brass IMO. Brass is nice and retains its value well and their performance and detailing has improved imensely since those $50 cab-forwards back in the 1950s-60s but I'd much rather have 5 DCC/sound equipped BLI GG1s sitting in my yard for the price of 1 brass Overland GG1. That said, Overland is probably the top importer of brass locomotives out there and the mighty Pennsy is a frequently modeled line. :thumb: