Brass Painting

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Hi Nats,
Welcome to The Gauge.
I'm not a expert on painting brass, but I painted my first NY Custom Brass Erie caboose about 8 months ago.
I stripped the clear finish off because it was very thick and had some runs in it.
I airbrushed with Floquil right after the stripper was cleaned off and it was dry. I used a hair dryer to help speed up the drying process. After the decals were applied, the caboose was sealed with dullcoat.
So far the paint is sticking without a problem.
Some people have suggested to use Scalecoat paint, then bake in a oven. Others said to sandblast the brass before painting. I'm sure others will post with their suggestions, but this is how I did it and it seems to work for me. Below is a pic of the caboose.
Marty

Attachments

• el c334.jpg
    el c334.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 157

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Great paint job , Marty...me, I prep my brass for painting by packing it real carefully in a non-PVC bubble wrap...then sending off to my buddy who's real good with an airbrush:p Sorry, you did ask for any tips...:D :D :D :D

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I prefer to...

...not prepare the brass- it tends to tense up.

I'd rather sneak uP on it with a can of KRYLON and go like there's no tomorrow!!!

For everything else I use Rust-O-Leum.

:rolleyes:

Hey Nats, welcome aboard The-Gauge!

Catch ya on the ride home.

Mark (AB3AO):D

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Painting brass

Here is one of the most sure fire ways for painting brass (with some variations). First, disassemble the model breaking it down as far as you can (without having to unsolder stuff). Next, put it in stripper (as you have) and strip off the coating. Wash it completely with dishwashing liquid and warm water. Let it dry off (you can speed this up by heating with a hairdryer). Then put it in white vinegar for around 1/2 hour or so. From that moment on only handle the parts with rubber gloves as finger oils can wreck the paint job. Rinse it off with warm water and a medium soft brush. Let it dry completely. Now, brush it down with some alcohol and let it dry. If you use Scalecoat I (for metal) no primer is neccessary. If you use acrylic enamels, you should use a primer. Plasti-cote Car Color primer works very well. You can get it at a store like Pep-Boys. Even if you use the spray can, it works great. It has extremly fine grain, shrinks do nicly without hiding details and is an acrylic lacquer so it is ready to paint over in around 15 minutes. It comes in oxide red, white, black and gray, spray can or bottle. Your other option is to send it to me with $65 and I'll do it!! I am a custom painter for hire!! Check out some of my stuff at http://BlakeDTatar.com By the way, that Erie caboose looks familiar
njboose.jpg
I just added the Plano Apex walkway, an Overland antenna and wipers on the bay windows. It is also the older NJ Custom caboose. Mine is going to be straight Erie

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Thanks for the kind remarks guy's!
Blake - Thanks for the tip on using the vinegar and primer.
I guess the vinegar "etch's" the brass to give the paint some teeth to stick too. The mod's you did on your caboose really looks great.
Marty