Brand new

Ingchao

Jul 28, 2011
Hi everyone!
I'm basically a lightsaber builder with some pretty serious tools- metal lathe and mini-mill. I wanted to get into making other props, too, like the stun gun from Space:1999 and the Deep sleep flamegun from Logan's run. I've never made a model completely from scratch but after many hours of searching for scale drawings of the above mentioned weapons, I came across this forum and thought: Wow: this is awesome! I can build paper replicas even when I'm not near my tools! Plus, this will give me starting point for when I build these guns from aluminum-if I ever get to it that is! I have many orders for lightsabers to get through!

Z

Zathros

:welcome1: to the forum Ingchao. A fellow machinist. I also own a small machine shop, and a Mig and Tig welder. Paper modeling can certainly be a good way to lay out and design prototype parts. Thanks again, and welcome!!:thumb:

Ingchao

Jul 28, 2011
Thanks for the welcome! Great to know I'm on the right track with the prototyping here.:thumb:
I wouldn't call myself a machinist, just a hack that can pull an occasional rabbit out of my hat projectwise!

At your shop, what do you specialize in?

Z

Zathros

My shop is "My shop". I make whatever I need. I was a machinist at the Perkin Elmer Corporation and made parts for the Hubbel Telescope. I was also a machinist at Sikorsky Aircraft, and did all the tooling, fixture design, and programming, for 4 axis CNC centers.

Ingchao

Jul 28, 2011
That sounds really awesome! Eventually, that's the goal for my little home shop. I just got the Harbor Freight version of the X2 mini mill and am hoping to have enough funds from saber sales to convert it to CNC-soon.
I'm also looking forward to my first papercraft project. Any recommendations?

Z

Zathros

I would start by deciding what subject interests you the most. With your machines, it would be easy to make a dye for stamping out track sections. So, decide on what subject. Once you do that, other members, and myself, may be able to point you in some directions, with various suggestions. Another consideration is, do you want to start with something hard or easy? Easy has it's advantages, except, you could find yourself bored. Too hard, and the frustration may turn you of to the hobby. In any event, choosing what "turns your on" comes first. :)

Ingchao

Jul 28, 2011
Since I'd like to make the jump from building lightsabers to movie firearm replicas such as the ones I mentioned in my first post- I'd like to start off with the DS flamegun from Logan's run. It looks simple enough,I hope. I just can't find a link to the file, does one exist?