Brand New

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by cherub, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cherub

cherub New Member

Hi. My name is Chrissy, and I am an Earth Science teacher in VA. I have been investigating card modeling for a while now as a tool for teaching various aspects of geology, but have yet to get started with it. I have found that the idea of modeling is personally appealing to me just as a hobby.

Where do I start? What kind of tools do I need? Is there a newbie forum?
  2. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Hi Chrissy and welcome.

First of all, you've off to a great start here. We have expert modellers and begining modellers, all learning off each other.

Second, tools required are Elmer's Glue or similar, an Xacto knife or equivelent, scissors and time. If you get into the digital form of models, an ink jet printer (prefered by most) will be needed.

I know of a site which has geologic models for sale and for download. I can't seem to find the URL right now, but I know others in the forums will know it. In any case go to and look around there. You will find hundreds of freely available models there.

Again, welcome...and enjoy the site.
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Chrissy and Welcome aboard!

A good site for people new to card modeling is:

Card Modeling FAQ

It will answer a lot of questions that you might/or will have.

Best regards, Gil
  4. modelincard

modelincard Member

[​IMG]Welcome aboard!

P.S.-What grade do you teach earth science in? I'm taking it now in 8th grade.
  5. silverw

silverw Member

6. milhistory

milhistory Member

Hey Chrissy:

Welcome to the list. It's nice to see someone else from VA here. I use my card models in my own classroom (history).

Brad Arnold
  7. Darwin

Darwin Member

Welcome to our world, where the possibilities are unbounded. Don't hesitate to ask questions. I believe has a downloadable .pdf file giving some good general information on card modelling you may find useful. Just be warned these things are worse than potato chips for addictiveness.
  8. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.