Brand new to nitro, rs4 rtr 3 evo

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by TCrox, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCrox

TCrox Member

So it only took about 3 weeks to get bored with electric and here I am. Well I finally learned how to charge the glow plug igniter (yes, I'm that new), and I got about half a tank run through at idle. Is it expected that if I hit the throttle more then 1/8 it's going to crap out? When this happens I can't start it for like 1/2 hour. I try everything; test the glow plug, throw the roto-start on there with the plug out, don't prime it, prime it... nothing seems to correct what's wrong except letting it sit. I, of course, messed with just about every setting there is on the engine before all this so I attempted to get the settings back to factory default (damn foreigners writing these manuals). So in short, what can I do to progress to the next step of the break in? How can I get it to stop crapping out with very little throttle actually being applied?
  2. redheat

redheat Member

I would start with a new plug, go back to factory setting [keep in mind that they well be rich] Sounds like you heat cycled it, is that what the instructions said to do? Anyway sounds like your gonna have to lean the motor out to keep it running. what are your settings now H/S and L/S ?
  3. redheat

redheat Member

I would start with a new plug, go back to factory setting [keep in mind that they well be rich] Sounds like you heat cycled it, is that what the instructions said to do? Anyway sounds like your gonna have to lean the motor out to keep it running. what are your settings now H/S and L/S ?
  4. TCrox

TCrox Member

Actually the first start I got out of it the idle was set to high that it scared the crap out of me. I don't know where the HS setting is, it's about 3 turns (I assume that means 3 total 360 degree turns). The LS setting hasn't been touched. I can now get an idle (which I'll run for 2 tanks worth), and I can get it moving a bit. But even then if I give it a bit too much throttle from a stand still it'll die and I can't start it again. The glow plug checks out (it turns orange/red instantly), but I'm getting another on the way home anyway. What's "heat cycled"? Is there a better next step then to run 2 tanks of fule through at idle?
  5. TCrox

TCrox Member

Not to spam, but the fuel that comes out of the exhaust is filthy, is that expected as well?
  6. redheat

redheat Member

Check the H/S count the number of turns in that well tell me what your H/S setting is. Heat cycle is how your breaking your motor in , I dont agree with it . Run your RC with the body off ,keep it at no more than 1/2 throttle for a couple of tanks then start leaning the H/S needle . What fuel do you use ?
  7. TCrox

TCrox Member

20% fuel. I went out and got it started at lunch, ran around at 1/4 throttle for about 15 minutes then attempted to hit 2nd gear. Died instantly and wouldn't re-start (AGAIN!). I'll check the HS needle next time I get out there. Could the LS needle be causing it to flood itself as it runs? I can't think of why it would die and not re-start (every time).
  8. redheat

redheat Member

check H/S setting. Are you sure the engine is flooding? Make sure that the heat sink is on tight, should be 4 or 5 screws holding it in place, make sure that the backplate is secure no air leaks . does it sputter as you gain speed?
  9. TCrox

TCrox Member

No real sputtering I can detect, yet this is the first nitro car I've ever owned. And after running it again for about 15 minutes I have more info on the issue... I was coasting at like 5 mph and hit the throttle about 50% down and it had the same response. It died right there, wouldn't start, and didn't appear to be flooded. I don't know what I'm supposed to do to start it back up other then wait 30 minutes and try again. Does the H/S needle have anything to do with it 1. starting or 2. running at 1/4 speed?
  10. redheat

redheat Member

The more info.that your giving leads me to believe that you have an air leak,try doing what I described in my last post in reguards to looking for an air leak, dont mess with your carb. setttings until you have checked for any air leak. When you say running your car I'm assuming that your talking about running it up and down the street or parking lot right? H/s kicks in at 1/4 plus throttle. Do you have raw fuel coming out of your pipe?
  11. TCrox

TCrox Member

Leaving the office now so I'll look into the air leak(s)... raw fuel coming from the exhaust? Yes, when I let it run idle for a few minutes then hit the throttle it'll spit out fuel.
  12. redheat

redheat Member

If your able to idle for a couple of min. then I would say that your L/S is fine.
  13. TCrox

TCrox Member

I think I got it... It was probably just the H/S being way too open. I'm assuming that virtually no stock rtr nitro will be able to slam on the throttle and not have it choke right? I can idle, and I'm going back to break in at 1/4-1/3 throttle, but it does die if I slam on the throttle. (not anymore... breakin went great) [8D]
  14. redheat

redheat Member

Cool now after you get that puppy broke in start leaning the top for performance. Ya when these RC come from them shop they set the carbs very rich and I think that that messes people up .
  15. redheat

redheat Member

Cool now after you get that puppy broke in start leaning the top for performance. Ya when these RC come from them shop they set the carbs very rich and I think that that messes people up .
  16. TCrox

TCrox Member

Well I got it opened up once last night.. that's all it took to smack a curb :) so the clip holder for the battery cover snapped and that's loose, and the front bumper/area got bent so the cover doesn't fit on anymore. Got some work to do now, I think the front needs to be replaced.
  17. redheat

redheat Member

sounds like you might have broken a control arm or two, body post still in tack? parts arent that much. So what happen throttle stick or did you just get a little power hungry?haha. While your at the parts store you might want to ask about a failsafe for your car,good investment. Red
  18. TCrox

TCrox Member

Yes, that was one of the two things I forgot. A failsafe and a second glow plug. There was no throttle stickage involved, I wanted to race a van going down the street. lol When it hits second gear everything grabs to the left, so my right turn was ruined when I gunned it. I got very lucky to not lose the car... the batteries were laying in front of the car (not attached) and thank god the throttle didn't take a mind of it's own to go full boar. Any ideas why it pulls left when it hits 2nd?
  19. TCrox

TCrox Member

Another question I had was is it safer to run the engine a little more lean or a little more rich? Is there an upside to running either way?
  20. redheat

redheat Member

your gonna have to reset your servo, alotta times those things come from the fact. and there not set right. Not sure how much $ you want to invest in your car but I would consider a high speed servo not torque. also carbon control arms to start. set your controller in the neutral setting before setting servo for steering. i would also put the best return spring and failsafe on that you can afford. These Rc arent that difficult to repair, do you have a shop close by?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.