Brand new: mediaeval trebuchet

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Sheila Mertens, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Hi,

I'd like to present to you a brand new download of a mediaeval trebuchet, my latest free model, available now from my homepage. Enjoy!

Warm regards

2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hoi Sheila,

great looking seige machine, are you planning on others, like a Ballista?

I like the engineering you put into it, good job

3. Hi Rick,

Thanks for the nice words :)
    Yes, I have plans for some more siege engines (onager, ballista, oxybeles, stuff like that), but there are a few other designs I'd like to finish first, like a small castle (1:200), a set of chesspieces, and a halberd (1:1). I'll let you guys know when and what.

4. charliec

charliec Active Member

For those of you who appreciate the Australian sense of humour - trebuchets
    feature at:

Nice looking model - thanks for making it available.

5. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Sheila, thank you very much for the model. I have not looked at the files yet, but the picture looks like a well engineered machine and a challenge. :)

I got hooked on building trebuchets after watching an episode of Junkyard Wars a few years ago. Since then I have built a couple of Tennis Ball Trebuchets and some of the cardstock trebuchets from Fryer's Kits(which are no longer available). I have also built a few small wooden models based on Fryer's Kits.
  6. To all,

I strongly recommend to check also the other
    items Sheila designed. You'll find some nice
    1/1 scale medieval weapons on her homepage . . .

have a nice week
    and best regards

Thomas Pleiner
  7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thank you!

Thank you Sheila, for sharing all your creations with the world.
    It is refreshing to see a designer who does this not for money, but the pure Love of the art of paper modeling!
    You are a true artist at heart, Sheila!
    Keep up the great work!:)
  8. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

That is really cool!
  9. cbg

cbg Member

This is really great, thanks! It puts my little plastic toy version to shame.

I am curious, your public profile states that your occupation is in nature conservation, but you obviously have very good engineering and graphic design skills. How did you come by them?

p.s. Do you listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan?
  10. I don't know about 'engineering skills', never had an education in that, but I always did like complicated and large machines, of all times. And I just love history in general and the middle ages in particular. Been reading a lot about that too. So there's the basic interest in siege machinery and such.
    Graphic design? Don't know for sure, but I used to draw and paint a lot in the past, been hanging around with artists, got a good friend who teaches me a lot on computer graphics and stuff like that.
    The nature conservation work is just a pleasant mix of hard work, interest in nature, teamwork, forestry, biology, being outside & having a great time. Besides, it's important work, and really satisfying. It's a living. :wink:

Sure. And trying to play along. But lately my focus is shifting more towards the style of Satch, Vai, and the likes. After so many years of playing blues, I feel a need for change. Blues can get pretty boring at times.

Thanks for the compliment, keeps me motivated to do some more. :)

11. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Satch? cool, Joe Satriani just released a new album, Super Colossal

already ordered it

12. already have it 8)
  13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Medieval Trebuchet Design Sheila Mertens

Hi Sheila,

What a beatiful model!
    This must be an attractive addition for those who enjoy wargaming (Lord of The Rings and the like) but of course also for all of us who are interested in the medieval period and architecture. When I was a teenager, I built many medieval houses, e. g. the Albrecht Dürer-haus, and also some fine castles and fortresses.
    What impresses me the most is the elegant way you have 'packaged' the trebuchet model, with the finest set of instruction photos I´ve seen so far.
    They are so clear and instructive - and it´s so nice that you have inluded a child´s hands. Excellent work!
    Thank you very much for making this fine design available to card modellers all over the world! It´s definately on my 'to build' list!

all the best,
    Bengt :wink:
  14. 46rob

46rob Member

The Trebuchet is nice--but the mace, morningstar, axe and sword are going to grace my workshop wall. Outstanding work...Thanks. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
  15. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

As in Steve Vai? Excellent guitar player and musician.:D

Have you looked at one of those medieval cranes with the large wheel that one or two men walked in to make it work? I have seen some that seemed to be fixed to the ground and others with short poles that went into recesses in walls so the crane could be raised as the walls grew higher. There used to be a website with an animation of that kind, but the website went away a few months ago.
  16. Er... they're actually my own hands, a friend of mine made that photograph :roll: :grin:
    Anyway, thank you for your kind words!

17. Hi,

I seem to vaguely remember that model. Wasn't a free download, if I recall correctly. The German firm 'Schreiber' has, or had, something similar, I believe. Or was that a building with a crane inside? Anyway, machines like this could be interesting to design, in the future. I'll give it some thought.

18. ramatoto

ramatoto Member

19. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Sheila, That is a neat model, I'm going to pass the link on to my nephew who is doing a school report on the Roman legions (I think they used something similar). Also the plans for the Tennis ball trebuchet...we'll see if we can get into trouble with that one...
  20. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Love the trebuchet sheila.

I just may print and build it at work. :)