Brakie's Track Plan

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well Guys,glad you like it..It mostly for switching cars around and will be use as a photo prop as well..I thought about adding a run around track but didn't do it..However,with Steve's rendering of the track plan I can see where I should have added it and I will.

Tyson,I am not David Barrow but have read many of his articles.I also belong to a local layout design group.

The layout its self is base loosely on the C&O Peach Creek Yard outside of Logan WVa and nowhere correct.

Val,Thought of the viaduct and I liked the idea as it helps hide the stub end tracks.

Now I have added the second viaduct where I had 18th street.This was done to hide the stub end "main line" from Logan(Ohio) that goes to the 20th street(I keep saying 18th street but that is incorrect) coal marshalling yard that I will build later. The layout will be in a "L" shape when finish.The 20th street yard will be approx 30"x9' and will be to the right as you look at the plan.There will be a gravel road under the viaduct leading to the parking lot. The engine house is a 3 stall and that 4th track is a "outbound ready" track.That small building will more then likely be a maintenance shed or a small break room for the yard crew.

This layout can also double as a generic C&O yard when I feel like running the C&O or taking pictures of my C&O/Chessie units.

I am still open to suggestions on where to place the buildings.

I have also thought of adding a curve next to the end and curving around the engine house and angling the second viaduct to hide where the curve ends.Your thoughts?

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I forgot to mention the track that runs by the yard office and into the engine servicing area is a "runner*" that will connect with the 20th St. yard. I also need to figure out where to place the cabins (Cabins as they are known on the C&HV as they are all ex PRR cabin cars).
*Runner: That is a track that runs the length of the yard for engine movement and so the yard crew can add a cabin on the end of the train.
BTW In the days of the caboose this job was handle by what was called the"caboose switch job".It was their job to add or remove cabooses from trains.The inbound cabooses was taken to the clean out/inspection/serving track and readied for the next assignment.