Brain, from Pinky and the Brain?

W

wyverns4

I'm mostly interested in ships and aircraft, but models like Marvin the Martian interest me as well.

How do I go about designing Brain, ie, my avatar? I have absolutely no 3D design experience, but am well versed in 2D CAD. What program(s) do I need to lay out the parts, or wire-model it?

Thanks!

Rick

W

wyverns4

I'm mostly interested in ships and aircraft, but models like Marvin the Martian interest me as well.

How do I go about designing Brain, ie, my avatar? I have absolutely no 3D design experience, but am well versed in 2D CAD. What program(s) do I need to lay out the parts, or wire-model it?

Thanks!

Rick

Willja67

I can only tell you about Rhino which will do the job but while you're waiting start drawing him out in 2d cad side top front view etc then you will be ready when you pick out a program (assuming I guess that they are compatible).

Willja67

I can only tell you about Rhino which will do the job but while you're waiting start drawing him out in 2d cad side top front view etc then you will be ready when you pick out a program (assuming I guess that they are compatible).

thewoodengraver

You could knock out a hako style while you are waiting...

Very exciting news!!! I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see the Brain!

thewoodengraver

You could knock out a hako style while you are waiting...

Very exciting news!!! I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see the Brain!

BazookaJo

wyverns4 said:

Thanks!

Rick

Hi Rick - Brain would be pretty darn cool.

As for skill - Sounds like you're not a million miles away from where I was about 6 months ago - As such, the biggest challenge for you will be to get something that looks good in 3D.

I use 3DS but it's V. expensive unless you know someone who's upgrading :twisted: I hear good things about Milkshape - It's nice and cheap, plus it's what the mighty Webdude himself uses (and you can't argue with results).

Also, when you're constructing the 3D model use cylinders wherever possible. This is another tip from WD (he had a great tutorial on this, but I lost it :( ).

Oh, and be prepared - your first attempt(s) may be a little cr@ppy, and people may tell you (friends, family etc.). You'll probably know it deep down, but sometimes you need confirmation - I know I do. My first Marvin attempt(s) were seriously unfit for human consumption :roll:

Anyway - good luck with it.

Best regards

Paul.

BazookaJo

wyverns4 said:

Thanks!

Rick

Hi Rick - Brain would be pretty darn cool.

As for skill - Sounds like you're not a million miles away from where I was about 6 months ago - As such, the biggest challenge for you will be to get something that looks good in 3D.

I use 3DS but it's V. expensive unless you know someone who's upgrading :twisted: I hear good things about Milkshape - It's nice and cheap, plus it's what the mighty Webdude himself uses (and you can't argue with results).

Also, when you're constructing the 3D model use cylinders wherever possible. This is another tip from WD (he had a great tutorial on this, but I lost it :( ).

Oh, and be prepared - your first attempt(s) may be a little cr@ppy, and people may tell you (friends, family etc.). You'll probably know it deep down, but sometimes you need confirmation - I know I do. My first Marvin attempt(s) were seriously unfit for human consumption :roll:

Anyway - good luck with it.

Best regards

Paul.

W

wyverns4

Paul,

I downloaded "Blender", a free 3D program over the weekend. I've tried to play around a bit with it, but the tutorial I was trying was not working for me. I'll keep playing.

I looked at "Rhino", but don't have a spare Grand laying around!

I'll look into the ones you mentioned as well.

Thanks!

Rick

W

wyverns4

Paul,

I downloaded "Blender", a free 3D program over the weekend. I've tried to play around a bit with it, but the tutorial I was trying was not working for me. I'll keep playing.

I looked at "Rhino", but don't have a spare Grand laying around!

I'll look into the ones you mentioned as well.

Thanks!

Rick