boycott the USAF museum!

Discussion in 'Off Topic - Card Modeler Lounge' started by -Jim G, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Regie

Regie Member

Absolutely - and not to hijack the thread, but have any of the UK contingent seen the Lightning in a scrapyard next to the A-1 near Peterborough? It's been there at least fifteen years and is slowly rotting away covered in grafitti.

Makes me sad everytime I drive past.
  2. shrike

shrike Guest

Just to clarify myself, I'm not saying that it's junk, just noting that to less sympathetic eyes it might be seen as such.
    Personally I don't like planecicles at all. There is an F-86D on a stick here locally that makes me cringe when I drive by it, and this is in the land where they do store airplanes outside long-term.

I think the best thing would be a nice cast bronze sculpture with a Keyhole, a Blackbird and Predator on a three pronged swooshy thing, but no-one asked me.

Ok, so the USAF own it instead of the CIA. If they decide that sending it to the CIA is in their best interest, or that it fulfills the mandate of providing it for public display then they will do that. Boycotting the USAFM isn't going to help any. Suggesting that they find a less well preserved example (and is there such a thing anyway?) is only going to be harsh on another, probably smaller, museum and community.
  3. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

Going along with the hijack of this thread... For many years there was a Lockheed Ventura in RAF markings that was decaying on the west side of Highway 280 between Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota. It had been used for testing the effects of lightning on an airframe. I loved looking at this airplane when I was a child. Eventually it vanished, and rumor had it that it was shipped to a museum somewhere. I was eventually able to find its whereabouts, and I am happy to report that it is being conserved.

It is now painted in USAAF livery:

I hope that the Lightning near Peterborough can be rescued.
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

There are three airplanes at McConnel AFB in Kansas that are in pretty good condition and have been so for years. They are a refueling jet, an F-4 Phantom, and an AE-6 Intruder(don't quote me on the names; I'm terrible at remembering aircraft names). Anyway, they have been out in the elements for as long as I can remember, and the chrome is still gleaming and the paint is still sparkling.

If the CIA is at all proud of this aircraft, they *can* preserve it.
  5. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

The evil deed is done! Doing this in the off season when the Minnesota Air Guard Museum was closed for the Winter, means that the public was not afforded even a last look at the blackbird before she was dismantled and removed. Cowardly buzzards!

I would like to propose the new slogan:
    At the CIA we are changing the meaning of the word 'intelligence'.
    now where did we put those weapons of mass destruction?
  6. eric_son

eric_son Member

Wow! I didn't know this happened. I consider myself lucky then. I was sent to Memphis on a business trip some time in 1999. I made sure to visit the Belle on the day before I departed for home. I must have used up two rolls of film on that aircraft.
  7. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

The latest

Tonight the local television news had a report that both of Minnesota's Senators were sponsoring a bill to return the A-12 Blackbird to her home in Minnesota. Senator Norm Coleman sounded very optimistic.

For those of you that are US citizens, and if you agree with me that this is an injustice... Please write to your Senators and Representatives to support this measure.
  8. paul a

paul a Member

the cia owns most of the blackbirds as where spyplane comes in sorry.
  9. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

out of public view

According to the Minnesota Air Guard Museum website:

"It (the A-12) was recalled in November 2006 by the owner, the National Museum of the United States Air Force, to be placed on private display on a pedestal at the CIA Headquarters out of public view."

NULLMOON Member

why the hell would cia want anything on display that would distract them while looking at your phone records :p
  11. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

At least on a pole keeps her in one piece I suppose while the argument is made to put her back in a museum. One of the sadest sites I saw was at Manston Airport in the UK while it was still under the RAF. There were 3 Vulcans and 2 Victors gleaming in the sun waiting to be set light to for fire practice behind them several wrecks lay smouldering and in front was the charred carcas of a EE Lightning, there are worse things then being on a pole. Ther is a restored EE Lightning on display at the entrance to BAE near here ,it is just stuck on a concrete hardstanding at the edge of an airfield I expect most of it to appear on Ebay before to long.
  12. oldrangerbob

oldrangerbob New Member

If the CIA relly wants a plane give 'em an Air America Cessna Caravan or a Southern Air C-123
  13. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

I’m sorry somebody going to put a good bird on a stick. But, there are still Blackbirds preserved at museums around the country. Smithsonian, Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in OR (I watched that bird rolling in the museum when visiting family) and Blackbird Airpark at Palmdale CA. I only name the museums that I visited, I sure there must be more around. So, don’t be mad, let the CIA have that Blackbird back. It is because of them that we got the Blackbirds todays to enjoy, anyway.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.