Box motor

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
aaaahhhh. :):):) The "tic a tic a tic a tic" I remember it well from my, umm, younger days in Melbourne. :)

On this, while sitting at the tram stop....
mmtbin1.jpg

and these, while waiting to depart from Flinders St station.

tait5.jpg

Used to catch them to work every day, I did. :):)

I have one of thos red "tait" electric suburban sets running round Garhabara (well, it DID run round Garahbara)

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
tic a tic a tic a tic

Hi Woodie,

And tic a tic to you .
Thanks ever so much;) for those pics.
Going to pinch them for my Aussi folder.
I have a friend Arthur Stone, who sends me pics once a month from the Trolly Wire Magazine , Australiar`s Tramway Museum Magazine, remember me telling you about it Woodie??
So I can post some in the new Railroad International That Dave Hagen talked about :) :) ..

How is the clean up coming along???
Will the Buyers still buy?

Bet ya miss the Trams;) .

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Hey Woodie, am I going to get to ride on any of those beauties? I understand I should look for old Puffer Billy while in Melbourne. Made my reservations on the XPT today, thanks to the miracle of the internet:D :D

Bob

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Ahhh... Yes. The old Melbourne dog boxes. They withdrew those in the mid 70's after serving the Melbourne metro area for about 60 years. They were originally converted and extended from just the passenger carraiges that were steam hauled before electrification of the Melbourne system. I have a 3 car set (kit nearly completed) that will run around Garahbara. Note the last two trailing cars. They were not used on the suburban system, but were used on country hauled services for about 50 years, before scrapping them. They scrapped the dog boxes as they had outward swinging doors and were considered too dangerous for heavy passenger use with the doors being opened by passengers before the train had come to a stop. The dog boxes were a different generation of train to the "tait" ones (my colour pic above) as they were built as electric from scratch, were wider, and had sliding doors. The Taits cam into service in the 20's and 30's, and the last ones were finally withdrawn from service in the mid 80's.

The trams are still used (in an overhauled sense) around the Melbourne system.

Bob, provided Puffing Billy is steam hauled, it will be the "older" Puffing Billy. The Melbourne suburban train services will take you right to the Puffing Billy station. (27 stops, 65 mins).

What are the dates for your XPT bookings?

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Hi Woodie, et al;

First of all Woodie, I love the pictures. We call some of them streetcars and you call them trams, but they bring back some fun memories of my younger days. I will do some investigating about Puffer Billy. 27 stops huh, 65 minutes huh, sounds great to me!!

Our booking on the the XPT is May 23rd. We depart the Spencer Street Station, Melbourne during the 8 AM hour and arrive shortly after 7 PM in Sydney at the Central Station. We have accomodations at a B&B at The Rocks, which appears to be fairly close to the station (no I'm not walking it with a couple of suitcases!!) Got a 50% off on our train tickets for early booking. $38US for each of us, 1st class.

I realize it will be late fall when we are in OZ, but it surely can't be any colder than it has been here the past couple of days. I know our Canadian friends here on the Gauge are laughing big time when they read this, but we are not used to weather where the temp is below zero F. Is suppose to get UP to 22F this afternoon, a real heat wave:D :D

Thanks again.

Bob

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Bob,
Good to see your plans are working out, and falling into place.

Yep. It's a hefty walk from Central to The Rocks. Definitely a cab is the way to go. :)

Late autumn?? Melbourne your looking at about 16C - 20C during the day, and Sydney about 18C - 24C. Cold??? This place would not know what "cold" was. :)

Where are you staying in Melbourne?

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Hi Woodie. Good to hear from you, as always.

While in the Melbourne area we are staying at a B&B by the names of Annies in the St. Kilda area.

I have touched base with a fellow Rotarian who lives in the Doncaster area and we are making plans to have dinner together one night while we are in town. Should be a lot of fun.

Take care and thanks for the the great info and pictures.

Bob