Box Cars and Grain

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Mike B, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Mike B

Mike B New Member

I will most likely model some special "Grain Handling" boxcars for my layout by adding two roof hatches to Plug Door Box Cars .( I've seen photos of the prototypes) I am interested in learning about the earlier methods of utilizing box cars for grain shippment. Temporary grain doors (planks stacked on edge with grain sack "caulk" !?) Paper Grain doors (Cardboard liners to eliminate the grain sacks ???) How were these cars loaded-unloaded, etc etc. Any light shed on this subject would be appreciated.
  2. railohio

railohio Active Member

The grain was usually loaded bulk. There was a gap above the grain doors, just a foot or two wide, that would allow for a loading chute. The cars were unloaded simply by removing the grain doors and letting the contents spill out. What didn't unload itself was cleaned out later by shovel-toting employees. This was obviously inefficient but on many branch lines that couldn't support heavier hoppers cars it was the only way to do it.
  3. Mike B

Mike B New Member

Thanks Brian. Sounds sort of straight forward. Seems like very time consumming method, but like is said, "ya gotta do what ya gotta do".
  4. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Aw man, I KNOW I've seen an excellent black and white pic of a guy loading grain in a box car with a chute on this forum somewhere....I'll keep searching...anyone else remember it?
  5. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

pretty much the way i remember getting the grain out of the graineries on the farm, too. hopper got most of it from the grainery into the truck; but the last little bit had to be shoveled and swept into the hopper. i remember it being brutally hot inside those things.