Both are Photos but,....

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Gil, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello All,

The photo below was combined from two separate shots using Photoshop. It's from the Maly Modelart Mitsubishi A6M2 publication. The question is which one is the scan reproduction and which is the printed model? For extra points on what was it printed and what special print controls, if any, were used?

2. angevine

angevine Member

My guess would be left pic = printed model right pic = scan. As to what on and what settings, not got a scoobies, sorry. Still learning photoshop.. not got to the advanced settings yet :cry:
  3. Kaz

Kaz Member

I would say the left one is the original, the 'white' section on the right has far too much magenta in it.
    So from the very original model (Gen 0) you took a pre printed copy. Generation 1, from that you scanned it (Gen 2) then you reprinted it (Gen 3) and photographed it (Gen 4), then its put back on to the PC (Gen 5) next its shown on my screen (Gen 6) and if I were to print it (Gen 7), it would be 8 generations removed from the original source.
  4. Texman

Texman Guest

And my cousins, brothers barber has a friend who went to school with a guy
    who doesn't know Kevin Bacon....
  5. hpept

hpept Member

Dunno what Kaz meant to say :cry: but i agree: for me left is original and right is copy. The left one seems a little blurred while the right one seems to have its contrast increased and edges enhanced. But it may be perfectly the opposite :grin:
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Naw........... the right is the original, left scanned............

Setting......... not sure, I use photoshop 6 and I'm still leaning it too!

7. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

The one on the right is the original. I put it in JASC and looked more closely at the pixels. The doted lines are more distinct when looked at close up. At first I thought it the other way becasue the one on the right seemed to have more digital artifacts.

Good work!

8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello All,

The right is the original. No settings were used other than the normal default settings to print a photograph. The scan was performed with at 300 dpi in graphic mode. The paper was then sealed with matte acrylic sealer and crystal clear.

What this small experiment is about is the fact that inkjet printers are tuned by the manufacturer to print best on certain stock which in this case is Kromekote matte presentation paper. After wasting a lot of paper and time it finally occured to me that this would be the case hence a small online test. I've been looking around to find a source on heavier stock but to no avail. It seems that Epson produces a wide range of matte photo paper in both letter, A4 and legal sizes. HP also has a line but the product doesn't seem to have the same discounts as Epson. Kodak is also missing.

The plan is to laminate this onto a 65# stock with 3m 77 spray contact cement and see how it performs especially on the small parts.

Anyone have any input on heavier duty photo coated inkjet cardstock?

Best regards, -Gil
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Alright Gil, besides trial and error............ how do you determine which printer is set up for which paper? Is this something on the printer manufactor's website or is it determined by wasting a lot of different kinds of paper?

I've got a canon and sure wish it printed crisper than it does............. on card stock anyway.

10. 46rob

46rob Member

I have a HP 932 (el cheapo). It has setting, that you can change, for different types of paper.
  11. rowiac

rowiac Member

If you are asking about matte paper, have you tried Canon Matte Photo Paper? It's a coated paper that is 8.5mil thick (170g/m^2). As I remember you have a Canon printer similar to mine, and if you use the settings for it in the printer driver, the colors come out nice. As an example, reds come out much brighter than on regular cardstock. The A-4 Skyhawk I posted in the Cardmodelers' Challenge thread was done with that paper. It's about $8US for 50 sheets.