Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by DanRaitz, Apr 28, 2003.

1. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

Heres one that has me stumped. I saw these sitting at the Lake Superior Museum of Transportation in Duluth, MN today. They appear at first glance to be box cars but upon closer inspection thay are also covered hoppers? They are lettered for BN and numbered 800001, 800002 & 800004. I am posting a side and top view.

Attached Files:

2. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

Heres the top

Attached Files:

3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I wonder if it is used for hauling perlite, a very light commodity. There is a roofwalk and hatches along the roof like some ATSF converted box cars I've seen. Mind if I post the link on to see if a BNSF employee has the answer?

Greg Elems
  4. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Are my eyes deceiving me, or does the car in the first photo have an open end? That would deepen the mystery even further. I don't think I've ever seen a car quite like these, but those BNSF folks seem to come up with some unusual ones every now and then. I look forward to some answers.
  5. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

they have ends

Attached Files:

• end.jpg
      File size:
      65.5 KB
  6. Vic

Vic Active Member

7. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Wow. That's really important news. Guess they really exist. I thought "bopper" was a made up word. Thanks.
  8. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

I thought it looked liked BNSF's version of a garbage truck.