Book Review

I don't know if there's much interest here in this sort of thing, but I thought I'd tell you about a book I thoroughly enjoyed: West Virginia Narrow Gauge - Mann's Creek Railway, by Ron Lane and Ted Schnepf. It's well written and has great photos and maps as well as drawings of most of the major structures. Best of all, it gave me any number of modeling ideas for my Osage Valley Tie & Lumber operation!

In many respects it's the story of the "perfect" small railroad to model because it's the story of a narrow gauge short line (20 miles total) that had it all: balloon-stacked Shays, lumbering, coal mining, coke ovens, mountainous terrain, a large sawmill, shared dual gauge at the junction, and interchange with a Class 1 carrier (the C&O).

Divided into 11 chapters, the book covers every phase of the railroad's history and operation. It begins with a brief history of the road's post-Civil War formation and ends with the years following its demise in 1955.

All in all, some really fascinating reading. I highly recommend this book. I ordered mine from Ron's Books (online) and had it 6 days later.

Hardbound, 200 pages, 200+ B/W photos, some color photos. $29.95 + 4.00 S/H

Available from TLC Publishing, Dept. NG, 1387 Winding Creek Lane, Lynchburg, VA 24503-3776 OR...

Ron's Books, P.O. Box 714N, Harrison, NY 10528
914-967-7541 (PRICE AS OF 5/15/02: $26.00)
www.ronsbooks.com

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Hello, Casey.

It seems a very interesting title. I will put it in my 'Christmas book list'.
The book shipping to Spain (from US) is usually slooow (4 to 6 weeks), so I only order books one time a year, from Raritan Bay Hobbies: (http://raritanbayhobbies.com)
This site have cheaper prices than Amazon or Barnes&Noble, and the shipping fees are OK also (last time, only $10 for 5 Morning Sun titles).
Just now, they don't have listed this concrete title, but they have two other related, also from TLC Pub.:
West Virginia's Coal & Coke Railroad, at $23.95
West Virginian Logging Railroads, at $15.95

In other order of things, you have a very nice website, Casey. I was impressed by the attention of detail that you have developed in your layout. The corrugated sheets that comforms the shed roof (over the vinegar tanks) are very real! Really outstanding.
(is 'curmudgeon' an 'american' english word? I did not find it in my Collins, and I had to resource to the American Heritage Dictionary)

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Casey, Sounds like a very nice book to read, not seen that around anywhere.

Shamus

Originally posted by Topo
In other order of things, you have a very nice website, Casey. I was impressed by the attention of detail that you have developed in your layout. The corrugated sheets that comforms the shed roof (over the vinegar tanks) are very real! Really outstanding.
(is 'curmudgeon' an 'american' english word? I did not find it in my Collins, and I had to resource to the American Heritage Dictionary)

Thank you for the compliments on the website and the modeling, Javier.

The origins of the word curmudgeon are unknown, but many English language historians believe it dates back to the period of Middle English (1150-1500 A.D.), while others believe it to be from Old English (pre-1150 Anglo-Saxon). In either case, the word is considered to be archaic and means "a crusty, ill-tempered, churlish or cantankerous old man." It can also refer to anyone who hates hypocrisy and pretentious behavior and isn't afraid to say so.

Both definitions are near and dear to my heart. :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Thanks for the information, Casey. :)

The one I got: "A crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas."

Geez! It could be applied to some of my best teachers (many, many years ago)! ;) :eek:

Another definitions I have found are:

"An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions." (American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language)
"An avaricious, grasping fellow; a miser; a niggard; a churl." (Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary)
'No Comments' about this later... :eek: :eek: