Book:Paper Planes 2 by Michael Johnson

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by andrew ferguson, Feb 26, 2007.

1. I recently acquired this book and am quite pleased with it. It contains several nice look, simple to build model planes. I'm particularily excited about the B-52 and the B-2 Stealth.

My question is: Was there a Paper Planes 3? I'm hoping to find similar style models for a B-1 and maybe even a Backfire. MUCH easier to build than the GPM or Hobby Model kits.

Hoping to complete my bomber fleet. 8)
  2. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

No luck at Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Sorry.

3. rickstef

rickstef Guest

there were only two books released

the one you have, and one with some triplanes, try ebay

4. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I just got a copy of this book from eBay!!

Not a bad deal, either, as all the real books stores wanted a minimum of $40.00 for it. Looks like a great book (I love B-52s), thanks for bringing it to my attention
  5. i really like the simplified approach to the models...much nicer than having to deal with hundreds of little pieces.

I'd love to find more models of this nature, especially for other big planes and ships, submarines etc too. :)
  6. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Any chance you could snap an example, non-scanned, non-copyable example of one of the planes?? Or is that poosible/legal?? Just curious what I just bought, besides a few days in the doghouse....
  7. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I have the first book, Classic Paper Planes- picked it up at a used bookstore several years ago for $9.00.

I have to say, as intriguing as the planes are, I'm very disappointed with the designs. Basically, I'm on my second plane from the book (Fokker DR1 Triplane) and my issues are as follows:

1. Instructions are minimal to non-existent. Mostly you're given a single assembly diagram with the part numbers. No guidance given on whether parts are interior/exterior or placement of same.

2. The printing of the textures is VERY misaligned with hideous errors, especially on wing/body and small part surfaces.

3. Poor fit of parts require heavy modification of parts to avoid gaps, alignment errors... sometimes to simply make the parts fit.

4. No detail is given where lamination is required or not required- though given the thinness of the paper, I would recommend laminating EVERYTHING to at least regular typing weight paper. Especially the bodies- just using the paper weight given is begging for tears along the bulkhead lines.

5. At least for the planes in this book, which were designed to actually fly and/or be fitted with motors, the designers did not include textured undersides of wing surfaces, making the bottom of these planes VERY ugly.

All in all, I can't say these are for beginners...
  8. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Well, my copy came in the mail today. Nice looking book, with some great subjects.

Problem is, I hate the idea of actually punching the parts out, especially if ekuth's comments regarding alignment are correct (probably due to mass printing by a book company, not a model company)

So, I will have to see if the pages fit on my scanner, and if I can figure out where to cut and fold the resulting scan....

As a (in my mind) funny coincidence, it arrived in a cereal box that had been cut, folded and glued into an envelope....
  9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I did a build of the Fokker DR-1 Triplane from book 1- it might help you.

I tried scanning the pages with mixed results and found that the best thing to do is to cut/punch out the parts, laminate them to cardstock and then scan... be sure to label the parts as you go.
  10. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Thanks for the link. Very educational, and somewhat nerve-wracking considering what I had hoped for...