Boeing X-32 JSF

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Paladin, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Paladin

Paladin Member

I have begun work on the Joint Strike Fighter that lost the competition against the X-35 (now the F-35)
    Here are some pix of the real thing, and my first trial build.

Attached Files:

2. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

I've been trying to design a model of this one for awhile, but couldn't find an decent resources, like reference images. How did you do it?
  3. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Looks like another one for my tree.
  4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Nice designjob, but lord that is one of the ugliest aircraft to ever take flight...imo of course.
  5. Paladin

Paladin Member

Well, I have the Italeri Plastic model which I have not yet put together. I simply took the main parts, and draped regular paper over them, and cut them to conform to the curves. I then printed out those parts, and put together a paper model first to see if the parts would line up, make changes as needed, then print one out in cardstock, and put it together as you can see in the pictures above. I just have to clean up the edges, and use the plastic model again to put the lines on it.
    I do my designing in MS paint. But I have to make the models out of paper or cardstock as I go. Kinda like carving something out of wood, except I just cut and paste, or tape. If I screw up, (excuse me, WHEN I screw up), I just add paper back to the edge or section I cut too much off, then try again. The Boeing Bird of Prey took a lot longer to get this far then the X-32. Having the plastic model to fit pieces to helped a great deal.
    I do have to admit, it is a bit goofy looking, I guess they did that because the engine had to be mounted farther forward because the weapons bay take up a lot of the rear portion of the fuselage.
  6. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Brilliant job, especially on the top of the wing. I like your thought process in your design.

As for the "goofy" design, can you name the previous "BOEING" fighter design? I think you'd have to refer back to the 1930's. I was working for Boeing at the time of the competition, and when you compared the design to Lockheed's VERY SEXY -35, I knew we were in trouble. The Boeing X-32 may have been able to get the job done, but the fighter pilots of the world would much rather fly the Lockheed "Ferrari" than what appeared to be a Boeing "Ford F-550 commercial pickup truck". I'm not sure, but the X-32 appeared to have very little McDonnell (St. Louis) design input.

Best of luck with your project,
  7. Paladin

Paladin Member

Thank you. Although the shape seems a little "odd", I still like it. I don't know why, but I do. And I think I would have prefered flying that one over the -35.
    I myself am a civilian pilot now, having completed my multi-engine commercial rating. I am currently learning to fly the Cirrus SR-20 G2. A very neat, and high tech plane for general aviation.
  8. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Did you design that all by hand? That looks fabulous! Great fit too!
  9. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

The more I look at your pictures, the more I admire your work. Just excellent.
  10. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Nice model, Paladin.

I am sorry but this is one aircraft I didn't like the look of. If it had won the JSF compition it would have had moving tail fins, instead of just a straight delta wing. The drawings of that design looked a lot better.
  11. Janx

Janx Member

Excellent Job paladin, keep it up, Should look awsome when textured too.
  12. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Boeing may have lost the competition but it looks like it is in good position for the unmanned fighter project. Some last thoughts could be, "Man, that was sure some ugly plane that just shot me down".
  13. Paladin

Paladin Member

I do most of my work by hand, cutting, taping, and glueing to get a good fit. Then I cut it apart and lay out the pieces and scan them into ms paint and make adjustments. Then I reprint I. Cardstock and try to put the model together, noting bad fits and anything that doesn't look good. I then make changes accordingly and print it out again until it looks how I want. Sounds tiring, but it works for me.
    My other model, the Boeing Bird of Prey took several tries to get it right. This one came out great the first time. I just need to finish the instructions, and it is ready to go.
  14. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

This is one super build!!! And by hand too, not many would try something like this...

I dunno about you guys, but for me, the X-32 doesn't look as bad as anyone thinks... I really like what Boeing came up... and the fact that it goes supersonic, even though its shape tells otherwise, is just unbelievable...

But I have to admit, it looks like it can't carry much compared to the F-35... but still, its more than worth building a model :-D
  15. benhpark

benhpark Stealth Modeler

Magnificent Work Paladin!

I'm now trying to make X-32 CTOL, which has 4 wings and 2 stabilizers, from scratch.
  16. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

...So Paladin, is this model done yet? I am eager to see it coloured...
  17. Paladin

Paladin Member

Yeah, I finished it. I've been a bit lazy lately. I will post some pix here today. I was trying to get the instructions finished, and complete the landing gear.
  18. Paladin

Paladin Member

Here's a few pix of the plane without landing gear.

Attached Files:

19. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

--That's good enough already!! I really like those panel lines!
  20. benhpark

benhpark Stealth Modeler

Bravo, Paladin!!

I can't imagine how detailed it would be with the landing gears! Definitely an A+++ work!