Boeing Model 307 Stratoliner

Bhelliom

Thanks, Zathros. The pictures were lost (I think) to a combination of a forum glitch, and the deletion of my old account. I also lost them myself temporarily, but have them back now. I just re-read the whole thread myself a couple of days ago, and was considering replying to my old posts, reinserting the missing pictures. I'm on the wrong computer right now, but will try it from my desktop later.

@Steve, Thanks also, I'm glad you like it.

Scott K.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That could be very beneficial to those wishing to build the models. You may just want to make one long post with the pictures instead of trying to edit the post that have your old name. However you wish. :)

Bhelliom

While reading one of my old pl****c model magazines, I came across an article on converting a 1/144 B-17 to it's airliner/transport cousin, the Boeing 307 Stratoliner. Hmm, I thought, I can do that with FG's B-17! Well, it hasn't been quite that simple, but the FG model has been a useful reference. Here's a pic of the first build test, the fuselage, tail plane and a pair of FG B-17 wings I'm using for reference.

307parts.jpg

I though I could use the tailplanes from the B-17, but you can see they don't match very well. (More like the ones on a B-17C).

Of course, I had to see how big this beast will be, so I set the B-17 wings next to the fuselage to make a sort of mockup.

307Mockup.jpg

Looks good (to me, anyway!) so far. Can't wait 'til I can get a proper set of wings on her.

Scott K.
I thought about making one long post with the missing pictures as Zathros suggested, but wanted to keep them in context. Here are the ones missing from the above post.

Scott K.

Attachments

• 307 Mockup.jpg
    307 Mockup.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 307 parts.jpg
    307 parts.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 15

Bhelliom

The design-build continues. Still needs upper wing fairings, landing gear, prop spinners, and small details. Once the actual parts are done, I can start on the missing surface detail (cockpit windows, panel lines, etc.)

Scott K.
More missing pictures.

Scott K.

Attachments

• 6-6-07 006.jpg
    6-6-07 006.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 6-6-07 008.jpg
    6-6-07 008.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 13

Bhelliom

Since I couldn't use the FG B-17 wings I built, I decided to build the rest of the plane. As practice for the 307 detailing, I modified the B-17 parts and "de-militarised" it (removed all of the turrets and gun locations.) I plan on making a couple of tanks and spray bars to mount under the wings to make the model resemble a pesticide spraying aircraft I once saw.

Scott K.
Pictures from this and the next post.

Scott K.

Attachments

• 6-6-07 010.jpg
    6-6-07 010.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 6-6-07 011.jpg
    6-6-07 011.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 6-6-07 014.jpg
    6-6-07 014.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 17

Bhelliom

A split drawing of the B-17 and the Boeing 307....maybe of use:eek:ops: ...maybe not:cry: ....all you need is detailing ot your 307 fuselage....
Here's the picture Bob posted. Apparently the last of the missing ones. Funny, I thought there were more.

Scott K.

Attachments

• B-17-Boeing 307.jpg
    B-17-Boeing 307.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 20

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Did John do the B-17's yet? I wish he (or you) would do a build thread here on one of them. :)

Bhelliom

The Post-War TWA version of the Stratoliner is next, possibly followed by an Aigle Azure version (maybe). Once John is tired of doing 307's, then the B-17's are next. He says these are a good run up to them.

Scott K.

Shipmaker

Can't wait to put one of these in the hanger. Going to need a bigger hanger too. I guess I'm not the only one with that problem.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I know what you mean. John Dell and Bhelliom do some really fantastic work. :)

Bhelliom

Thanks, guys. John does some really nice work building these, too. Here's his latest. He's been experimenting with paper models as an inexpensive alternative to commercial H.O. scale kits for model railroad dioramas.

Scott K.

Attachments

• 307_In_scale.jpg
    307_In_scale.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 17