Boeing Clipper

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by barry, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

My, but she looks even more brilliant in color!:)

bazzer, I now realize something that seemed missing in an earlier picture you posted when just adding the wings...I didn't see any internal struts on which the outer wing tips would be fitted sticking out of the stubs you already it possible to still add some internal support struts to give the tips a bit more support? Sure, it's easy to have 20/20 hindsight, particularly when on the outside looking in.:) Only wish it had struck me sooner.

I truly do love the way she is coming along, mate...keep at it!

2. goney3

goney3 Member

Wait... is that your hand? ... how small is this?! :shock:
    Very impressive indeed!

3. barry

barry Active Member

wings and things

I always knew this one was just another protracted learning curve so the wings ar literally stuck end to end just to check. I had decided to add at least two full width spars anyway you can catch them on series 3 mate.

yes it's my fingers but it is not that small and has an 18" wingspan scale is sort of A4 ie the fuselage would just fit diagonally onto a sheet but it is all relative really. It certainly won't be 1/33 it would be massive.

4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Wow! Barry your fingers help me to see the scales also.

I was thinking that it was a bigger scale than it is, impressive.

I still worry about you getting any sleep, between both design/builds. I think you have earned a new nickname......... IRONMAN.:grin:

Keep it up, I can wait to see the finish on both of them.

5. barry

barry Active Member

New wings

Hi All

This is getting like a soap opera rebuilt the wings using photopaper 250 gsm it's funny stuff but it sticks together well and also for a short time will let you peel it off again. The engine cowls were a bit beyond my capabities so I have designed an alternate set which use a cone for the fronts it will look tidier even if it is not what I intended. Still can't build planes the wing skins are the right size but I should have pushed harder on the inner joins to close the gap so the dihedral is too flat but ......

This time they have a spar in them but the cardboard is too soft should have soaked the thing in cheap superglue but at least they don't droop.

6. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

7. barry

barry Active Member

No not mine I am just going back to finally(hopefully) sorting out the fuselage formers.

8. barry

barry Active Member

Boeing clipper again

Hi All

Had to try building this again proves I can't build planes but it is somewhat nearer being right than the last one. I put 2 wing spars in this time so the dihedral is finally about right. The wingtips seem to fit and at least the US flag lines up and I have corrected that damn last window (on the next one)which always seems to be at the wrong angle. The glue is not holding the wings together too well my fault I think. The sponsons still require a bulge at the tips I have been experimenting with Gils curve forming tricks getting there slowly. I am quite pleased with the Pan Am script pulled from various old airline posters. From a good distance it gives the right impression sorry about the crap wire cradle but it keeps the sponsons out of harms way.

9. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

It is coming along very nicely, especially considering the complexity of this craft.
  10. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Wotcher, bazzer!

Great update photos, mate!

My, but she is a pretty lady...I thought the earlier one looked great, but this version looks brilliant. Who says you can't build sure are doing a superb job of designing this one, that's for sure.

The double spar support in the wing did the trick, eh? I for one appreciate all the re-work you're going through on her, but I think the photos speak volumes on how well this is coming along.

Keep at it, mate!

11. airbob

airbob Member

Boeing Clipper Ole!

I've been away from your thread for a couple of weeks....kudoes for your excellent work on this most difficult geometry for this beautiful golden era bird! Most excellent work!!! Don't lose your mind though:p Take a break to just sit back a survey your progress from time to time!:rofl:
  12. barry

barry Active Member

13. barry

barry Active Member

14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Its amazing to watch the lifecycle of a model creation - looking great!
  15. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

It's coming along very nicely. I wish I had your talent.
  16. barry

barry Active Member

Last one

The last one I need a rest from this one for a while, thank you for putting up with marathon.

17. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Very nicely done, Barry.

And it was a marathon well worth the marathon.

18. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Ooohh, my! Isn't that something? Beautiful, Barry! Definitely worth it, but I know what you mean about needing a rest from something.

Scott K.
  19. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Wow nice finish!

Great piece.
  20. Alcides

Alcides Member

Great job !!!

barry really a nice work. I like a lot the final display :)

A question: I this model going to be available?