Boeing B-314 Yankee Clipper...anyone?

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by Jim Krauzlis, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Does anyone know whether there is a model of the Boeing B-314 Yankee Clipper available any any livery (but Pan Am would be preferred, if at all possible, but at this point, I can't be picky)?

I have a friend whose Dad passed away that would like me to build him a model of it; his Dad flew them for Pan Am. Besides, it's a neat looking plane, I think. :D

2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Airfix did a plastic kit of it, a long time ago......

Tim P
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Jim,

Not paper but I found plans to carve a solid wood version. Maybe you can convert the drawings into plans out of paper using Rhino or something.

4. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Thanks, guys! :D

@ Tim, I think I saw that kit in my search, pretty rare, huh? What's the deal with this plane, I thought it was a classic and there would be gazillions of models of her out there, but no...a lot of those maple desk throw aways, and a few plastic kits, but ... no paper??? :cry:

@John, is that the plan set I saw (but seem to have lost the link) where this fellow builds up airplanes using balsa and card? I'll try to find that site again, that might be plan "B". :roll: If it's from the site I'm thinking of, do you have the link handy?

Thanks again, guys, I appreciate the quick replies! :D

5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Jim,

The plans I got are from a site that deals with the WWII aircraft recognition models.......

It was plans from a comet (I think) kit and gives the basic shape and you have to carve the parts from basswood. That's why I was thinking it might be easy to convert. It kinda gives you the shape of the formers and their placement.

Anyway...........I agree, I was dissappointed that this was not represented very well, considering the historical significance of these aircraft, along with the Sikorsky flying boats. It was truly the "Golden Age" of air transportation.

Hey....... maybe we could challenge one of our talented designers to whip up a model for us.....hint hint

Try this link and you will see what I'm talking about. Hope this works.

6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Boeing 314 "China Clipper"

No paper models that I know of. The following page contains a complete set of 1:72 scale jpeg line drawings and should serve as a basis to execute a design...,

P.S. I agree with you that this would make a wonderful card model.
  7. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Plastic model B 314

Here are a couple of places that have a plastic model of the Boeing 314 Pan Am Clipper 1/144 scale.

This one is selling it for $18.99 USD

This looks like the manufacturers site. The price here is $25.00 USD
    MiniCraft Models

Here is the blurb both sites have about the model:

What we need is one of our talented paper model designers to make a paper model of the aircraft.

8. airbob

airbob Member

I agree the Boeing 314 (China Clipper) is a plane that defines aviation in the mid thirties! I have the plastic model, and have considered rolling up my sleeves to begin this daunting task...though there are many much more talented designers on this forum!!! I would like to finish a couple different versions of the Boeing 707 that I have designed before I take on this task...but this task would be truly awsome !!! What a learning experience!!! Jim & Gil.....a big thanks for the great detail drawings, the're Super!
  9. Pounce

Pounce New Member