Boeing 787

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Nothing, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

It is a simple model and not that great. but i am proud of it because it is the first model that i made the 3d model myself, i did the textures myself and was able to make a model from it.
    787 003.jpg

787 004.jpg

787 005.jpg

787 006.jpg
  2. smyfe

smyfe Member

What are you talking about? it looks like a fine bird to me, well done:thumb::thumb:
  3. knife

knife Member

Looks good, I will be trying the same thing on a gulfstream this week. First attempt using 3d design program then applying texture. I hope it turns out as good as your 787.
  4. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

This looks great. And it's a bit different from what you usually do.

Like the web site as well.
  5. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Geez! That's your first effort? I can't wait to see what you are going to be designing a couple of years from now.
  6. logicman

logicman Greybeard

That's a real work of art, nothing. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Beautiful plane, thank you for sharing.
  7. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

thank you all for your nice comments.

knife im looking forward to seeing the gulfstream. good luck on it.

i learned a lot by doing the 787 so im hoping my next one will be better.
  8. :cry: OK no more sandbagging. this isn't really your first is it?:cool:
  9. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Maybe the cockpit windows could use a little correction, but otherwise its a terriffic looking model. I've actually wanted a model of the 787 for awhile (already downloaded yours). Can't wait to see more, but careful, you've already set the bar high. ;)
  10. This looks great, is this really your first model?! :eek:
  11. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Congrats on your first model.

I have a number of planes in progress in Meta. I hope my first builds as well as that.

Any chance of opening a design thread on this model?

Post a few pic from your 3D, how you did wings, formers etc. I'm sure this would help the rest rest of us newbe designers.

My fuselage's look OK, my wings look Ok but putting them together is an issue I'm working on at the moment.

Looking foward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers JTF
  12. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I agree with Paragon that the cockpit windows could use some re-shaping...

but I have to say, is this REALLY your first design?

your'e wicked man... :-D
  13. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

well i wasnt happy with the cockpit windows either. the other thing was i couldnt figure out how to scallop the trailing edge of the engines. it was one of those things where i needed to call it done and move on. im trying to decide what i want to do next. i figured id leave this one as is and push myself some more on the next one. the 787 became a proof of concept type thing where now i know i can do it. i am actually surprised and happy by the response. i was really apprehensive about sharing it. i know i have a long way to catch the other designers on this forum.

Jt i had so many do over things as i learned meta that i dont think i could put out a design thread. i could answer questions base on what ive learned but ill keep it in mind when I start my next one.
  14. exzealot

exzealot Member

Very nice job on the design; especially for a first design.

I am a pretty good designer in CAD (I did it for a living for 20 years), but I am scared of the painting/graphics part of the job.

Question: What is the best graphics program to use to convert a 3D CAD model into a flat pattern and coloring?

15. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

Now all Boeing has to do is get the real thing off the ground. Otherwise they have a really expensive gate guardian.
    But the model looks great, and all I need is some new ink for the printer.
  16. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Ken, try Peparuka. It's free with the save disabled. Not that expensive to buy the key code. Ultimate unwrap3D is another free option although I have not run it myself.

As for the colouring one option is to apply texture to the 3d model and then the texture will unfold with the model giving you a 2d coloured print.

You could also print in B&W and then use Photoshop, Gimp(free) etc to paint the 2D or copy paste a shaped photo onto the image.

Cheers JTF
  17. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

they might be havin trouble there. some of their customers are backing out and going with airbus.

Kenlwest, im not sure i dont know much about cad. pepakura will read auto cad or .DXF files. meta will also except .DXF files.
  18. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Hey buddy, care to do the A380? :twisted:
  19. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

you got any good plans?
  20. Could this help? :mrgreen: