Boeing 707 in the blend

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Arjun, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Arjun

Arjun Member

Having read that thread about a model developed with free tools, I got Blender, InkScape and GIMP to work with. I started with a Boeing 707. Here's a screen grab of what I've made. I'm not a full-fledged professional in Blender, though.
    Feedback? What next? I thought I'd tweak it a little before dismantling it and then unfolding it and proceeding.

EDIT: The picture is loaded...
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Great!!! Free is the way to go!!!
  3. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Copy the text at the bottom of the page where it says 'BB Code' into your message and you'll get the pic.

4. Arjun

Arjun Member

Now, maybe, I'll have to make cuts in the wings to mark the places where I can keep the engines. Not to mention, mark cockpit boundaries.

One major pain is getting the right unfold pattern. It seems next to impossible in Blender, so I had to do something rough in Inkscape instead.

When that FW was made in InkScape, the designer didn't add any colours. Do you think I should leave the SVG uncoloured until GIMP?
  5. Arjun

Arjun Member

That area between the wings under the fuse is hard to model...I need some advice on that.

Moreover, getting the wing extensions for the engines has not come good at all...

Here's a picture (or marking) of the problem area:

I'd like to know what was done for this model.
  6. bob neill

bob neill New Member

i was thinking someome else (rob carleen?) was also working on a 707. airbob's version is great, by the way. do you realize the subtle 2 in difference in body radius between the 707 and the kc-135? the lower body appears to be identical contour giving the 707 a noticable crease at the floor line. or am i being tooo picky? the 707/720 also had three different wing configurations during their evolution, as well as doughnuts to extend body length. the wing with the trailing edge normal to the body was used with the 707-320 series. (now memory gets fuzzy). i may be able to scrounge up some info if you are interested

bob neill
  7. 46rob

46rob Member

When I modeled my DC-9, I had a similar problem. However, since I don't use any software other than Photoshop, I attacked the design problem the old fashioned way: trial and error. Not that bad actually--I already had an idea of what the parts should look like, so it was merely a matter of tailoring the dimensions to the model, once I had the right shape. Sometimes things are more easily done manually than digitally. You just have to know when different approaches are best.
  8. bob neill

bob neill New Member

may 1956 model airplane news 707

View attachment 707.pg1..pdf

View attachment 707.pg2..pdf
    hope this works, first time. this si a version of boeings prototype for the 707 and kc135 known as the -80. the wing planform was used thru the kc135 and early 707 programs. still need to look for the later wing planform.

bob neill
  9. Arjun

Arjun Member

Looking at the Airbob version of the 707, it seems that problem of the swollen undercarriage has been solved. I was sitting up till 2 A.M. sketching that on sheets of paper, staring at the blueprints, and still couldn't solve it.