Body mods

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by vette_7t9, May 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

I have a body that has no wing, i got my rc used. It is pretty trashed, so I am deciding to cut flaps and vents in the body to increase the downforce and airflow through the engine area. This sound good or not? I lightly studied body aerodynamics in real cars, and found that vents and scoops and air dams in different places have diff effects.
  2. atc1100rider

atc1100rider Member

if you cut a hol in thier it is easy to cut a hole but if you do in the front of the body then the back is going to have drag an you will alos have to cut som of the back ou for easy air flow i usaly cut on in the wind shield or in the back for easy air flow so nothing has drag so you have more speed it is sweet
  3. pimp

pimp Active Member

i would reccamend that u donot cut on the body b/c the were specaily designed for a car so that it will get the perfect amount of air to the airfilter and designed to blow air on the motor so it will keep cool so belive it or not more air gets to the motor with the body on than off it is just designed that way and it will keep the motor cool that way it will have less chance to overheat
  4. pimp

pimp Active Member

did u already cut holes in the body if so u r better off to go get another body or get a new motor when it over heats way better to get a new body alltogether
  5. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

hmm to me cutting holes in the body to help it cool down is soemthing good to do, I dont see how you can over heat it. When the body is on and there is no holes or anything where is air getting into it, I mean on the engine? Ya bodys come with no holes and all but cutting a round hole in the windsheild would help it, just make shure to put it right in front of the engine!
  6. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

nitro engines will overheat if there is no air vent hole in the body to allow flow over the engine. The only style of body that this does not apply to is the lola type bodies that have most of the engine sticking out above the bodyline. as stateted above you also need venting hole in the rear directly in line with the front hole and also a couple on the rear of the body to allow the air to escape. if you run a touring car body without holes as pimp suggests then you are asking for an overheated engine.
  7. pimp

pimp Active Member

they r designed to get air to the motor perfectly if thay was the best way they would have designed them that way to begin with
  8. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

its kinda weird if I remember correctly when I got my nitro rustler in the manual it said to cut a hole in the winsheild for proper cooling
  9. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

Pimp you are wrong there! They arent designed to get air to the motor! you have to cut a hole in the body to do that. How does a real car run if you put a blanket over the radiator and stop air flow? Hot! you need air flow to keep it cool. Under your theory how does the air get to the engine? many bodies instruction sheets tell you where to cut even, some even have outlines for you to cut on. The only reason they dont cut them themselves is it is much more expensive to produce and people use the bodies on different car types with different engine mounting locations so it is pointless for them to cut them at the factory.
  10. i see he has made no reply to that haha !
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.