boat dock

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by pwheeling, Jun 6, 2006.

1. pwheeling

pwheeling New Member

Does anyone have any suggestions on the most realistic way to make a boat dock. Thanks, Paul
  2. Play-Doh

Play-Doh Member

I never thought I would say this but I would think popsical sticks would look great if they were cut and weathered correctly.
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Are you talking about a typical small boat dock like you would see on a lake? If so, I think the deck would be typically 2x6 lumber on telephone pole sized pilings. In ho, 3.5 mm = 1 foot. If you don't have a scale ruler, 1/8 inch to the foot will be close. In fact since a 2x6 is actually 5.5 inches wide, using 1/8 inch to the foot making the 2x6 1/16 inch wide and thinned down with sand paper would make some believable 2x6 lumber for the deck. 1/8 inch dowels roughed up for bark detail and stained dark to simulate creosote, or stained grey for a more weathered look would make good pilings. You will need stingers to go between the pilings lengthwise. Ripping more popsickle sticks to roughly square boards, same width as thickness, would make good stringers. Then just put the 2x6 lumber down across the stringers to make your dock.