Boards for layouts

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Kate,

I've used homasote on top of plywood. Its a grey fiber board that is rigid enough that it needs to be cut by a jig saw (or small sections wth repeated strokes of a mat knife) but its soft enough to nail down track easily. Scrap sections can be broken and layered to create jagged rock formations. Its a bit dusty when cut. Its a good idea to paint homasote to seal it to prevent warping if you have a lot of humidity changes. I liked using it but think I'd try foam next time around.
Ralph

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Homasote

Kate:
Homasote web site: Homasote Company - America's Leading Green Building Products Manufacturer

It's a US product; if I buy some from a lumberyard here, they don't have it the next time I need some.
What I heard was that it was made from recycled returned paperback books; that's consistent with its consistency. It's used as soundproofing in buildings, so maybe you can approach from that angle. The price is usually in the same range as 1/2" (12mm) plywood.
We do have a few Australian members on the forum; maybe they'll have ideas.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
In South Africa we also don't have Homasote. Btw, have we really then been calling those white foam cups by the wrong name?- oops!

Oh well, now I've got a new subject to talk to people about.