BNSF Smorgasboard

CRed

Cannonball said:
I still want to do an F3 F7 or F9 in a black and orange BNSF warbonnet.

I think the Traditional AT&SF Warbonnet scheme on their passenger units are the best looking in the business although an H2 or H3 bonnet scheme would be pretty cool as a fantasy scheme.

Chris

Gary S.

Rail-O, down here the terrain is flat as a pancake, and I've never seen a loco on the rear. One time I did see 2 small switchers from the Houston Ship Channel railroad hooked into the middle of a train. I figured they were just being transported somewhere. Do you think they were actually using them for power? In either case?

railohio

Probably just being mishandled in the middle of the train. It happens.

As for the terrain, UP and BNSF both run DPUs into Chicago even though they're not generally needed through Iowa and Illinois. It's just a matter of having a convenient location to remove them without unduly delaying the train. They've found that it's most efficient to run them all the way to Chicago and remove them before hand-off to the eastern carriers than it is to stop the train farther west to send them back.

Triplex

the first 3 are GP38's, then a pair of Sd40's, then a GE Dash 8-40CW, and finally a 44-9w
Actually it looks more like unit# 656 which is a C44-9w
and 2704 is a GP39
2704 is a Phase II GP39-2. The raised corrugated radiators signify a Phase II or III Dash 2, as opposed to the wire-mesh radiators that signify a pre-Dash 2 or Phase I Dash 2. This applies to GP38/-2s, GP39/-2s, GP40/-2s, SD38/-2s, SD39s and SD40/-2s. SD45s and SD45-2s have a different situation. By the same reasoning, 8024 and 6854 are Phase II SD40-2s. 6804 has a "snoot" nose, needed to fit Locotrol equipment.