BNSF Smorgasboard

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Saw these sitting on the tracks on my way home. A variety of power and paint schemes. This is typical of the BNSF locos I see down nere, but not usually mu-ed in a seven loco mixed bag like this.

Attachments

• 0 a1.jpg
    0 a1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 95
  • 0 a2.jpg
    0 a2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 0 a3.jpg
    0 a3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 0 a4.jpg
    0 a4.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 0 a5.jpg
    0 a5.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 95

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
the rest of the locos

Attachments

• 0 a6.jpg
    0 a6.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 0 a7.jpg
    0 a7.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 0 a8.jpg
    0 a8.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 90

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Quite a hodge-podge of schemes there,pretty darn cool.

Today my wife and I were taking care of some business and passed the yard on Garfield Ave. and there were two swtchers busy moving cars around,one was painted BN and the other BNSF.Not nearly as cool as your find,but it was still pretty neat.

Chris

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
I want a model of that red/silver warbonet desiel, only with the 'T' on it, so what's its number? All I can see are the same last two digits that my F3 has. I want to find the oddest, most unusual engines that don't belong in an Ohio-based railway just because they grab attention. a Santa Fe lokey like that would work just fine for me:D . But only after I get Mavis, finish my 4X8, make HO scale TUGS charicters, get a 'State of Maine' boxcar, get a steam engine,...

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
It was a long train of covered hoppers and tank cars for the most part, with a few box cars. Most likely coming from south of Houston from the refineries in the freeport area - plastic pellets and chemicals.

I am thinking that some of the locos were simply be transported somewhere else, I don't see that they would need that much power for the train which was only of average length.

So anyone taking a shot at identifying them? I see a couple of Geeps, a couple of SDs, and whatever the new-fangled units at the back are.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Hmm.I'm new at this but my guess' are....GP38,GP60, SD40-2 and the larger ones are either Dash-9's or AC4400's.

I'm probably wrong,but like I said I just started this hobby a few months ago.

Chris

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
CN5767GalesburgIL7-15-06.jpg

Not as rare as one might think. It's all in how well you pay attention, Gary.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Hey Rail-O, that first loco in your consist looks like a BNSF unit.

Down here in Houston at the Mykawa BNSF yard, I've seen all manner of SF-BNSF-BN units, N&S, UP, CSX, local ship channel switchers, various leased units, FerroMex, and even an occasional CN loco.

The other night I saw a couple of the modern locos (Dash-8 or something?) pulling a long train, then on the very end of the train was another one of the locos being pulled. I seriously doubt if it was actually pushing, probably being transported to somewhere else.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Gary S. said:
Saw these sitting on the tracks on my way home. A variety of power and paint schemes. This is typical of the BNSF locos I see down nere, but not usually mu-ed in a seven loco mixed bag like this.
I think BNSF was just showing off. :D

Great catch!
If I ever saw anything like that roll by I'd almost bet my yearly salary that I wouldn't have a camera with me. ;)

PS- Souldn't this be in the Prototype Real Thing- USA forum? ;)

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
There were three BNSF units in front.

Units that are being transported dead-in-tow are supposed to be at the head of the train. Anything on the end ought to have been DPU.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Rail-O: What's DPU?

Cannonball: Yes, this should be in the "Real Thing" forum, but it is more fun here in the general area! :wave:

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I've seen the red and silver warbonnet down here, in both schemes, the big Santa Fe on the side, and the BNSF on the side. In fact, I posted a pic of it here on the gauge, maybe a year ago. Would it still be here?

I've seen the BN green and cream too, about a couple weeks ago. And they use a ATSF caboose similar to this one for switching the yard and the industries.

Attachments

• MVC-016S.JPG
    MVC-016S.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 42

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
CNWman said:
I want a model of that red/silver warbonet desiel, only with the 'T' on it, so what's its number?

Here's another shot that I cropped to get a closer look at the number for you. Looks like 656 to me

Attachments

• santa fe red.jpg
    santa fe red.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 38