BNSF sighting in Ga.???

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
While out cycling yesterday, I stopped on an overpass of a CSX line when I heard a train coming. I was shocked to see three shinny orange and yellow BNSF locos towing a coal train come around the bend. I've never seen BNSF in Ga before. Also last week I saw a freight with one CSX and one UP loco. What's going on?

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Its cheaper for railroads to hand off an entire train and just change crews than it is to change locos each time the train interchanges with another railroad. This is especially true with a single destination train like a coal train. Most likely, the train you saw was headed for one of Georgia Power's coal fired generating plants. When I was in the Atlanta area there were 2 a day to one plant. They came in from Kentucky loaded and returned empty. Sorta like a unit train. They would meet up around Smyrna/Marietta and pass each other.

Down here in "the sticks" of GA its not unusual to see all kinds of motive power on the NS especially lots of UP and Conrail and various others.

F

Fred_M

And here in Missouri we see different loco on both the BNSF and the regional MNA. On the BNSF I think I have seen almost every major roadname at some time. The MNA leases their track to the UP who run several coal unit trains a day through. They are powered by UP dash9 locos, 2 in front and one pushing. They are crewed by MNA employees who pick them up in Kansas City from the UP. The MNA operate the old White River Division of MoPac. But even on them unit coal trains one sees an ocassional off breed. Last I seen was a CP dash9 on a UP coal unit train in Missouri? The strangest thing I seen was a SP SD-70? that had most of the paint burnt off of it headed east on the BNSF. It appeared to be running. How, where, and why are a mystery to me. FRED

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
A BNSF coal train comes through Stockbridge 3 times a week on the NS main. Southbound it is full, then the return later it is empty. All of the cars on it have Georgia Power markings on them, so the power plant idea is probably right.

Usually a pair of engines up front and one in the rear pushing. Mostly we see the "War Pumpkin" paint job, but occasionally they have the War Bonnet on them.

Kinda cool. If my scanner was working right, I'd scann some of the pictures I have of it coming through town. Of course, it might not be my scanner. It could be my parallel port going bad (like the rest of this computer.... :( )

Michael

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
I've seen that coal train several times in Memphis on the NS line, both east and westbound. In my town, we see CSX mostly with UP, occasional NS, and even a couple of UP marked SP along with Conrail and leased units.

WM-N-fan

Jan 27, 2002
Hagerstown Md.
In west Md. I often see BNSF power on TV213/214 (Inman Yard to Croxton and back)
and 15/16T (Birmingham to Allentown.....I've seen ATSF SD40-2 with BNSF patches and BN SD40-2.....I have seen BN SD70MAC's in the exec scheme....ATSF C44-9W as well and often BNSF C44-9W and even GP60M....Oakway SD60's have been through here as well. This past weekend I saw a BNSF (in ATSF Warbonnet) C44-9W pulling an NS transfer train long hood forward! UP comes through here often as well- SD70M's almost every day....C44-9W and Ac4400 often as well and sometimes tunnel motors or SD60M. A few weeks ago I saw a consist of a UP C44-9W, a SP Sd45 and finally a former UP SD45 in a leased scheme. GP60's in UP paint roll through as well...Every now and then SD90MAC's.....CP SD40, SD40-2 and SD90MAC's come through here as well and sometimes SOO SD40-2, SD60 and SD60M..... Leased power comes through almost every day on NS and CSX....GATX, LLPX, CEFX, etc....You'd be suprised what comes through Hagerstown Md..........

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
This week I saw a CN freight through Brampton, with a grey diesel on the front (leasing company?), a CN loco, two big BNSF locos and a couple more CNs. We do sometimes see brand new locos from the GM DD plant in London.