BN Islander

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Hans Christian, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

2. :D a cool commuter plane for small airports on train layouts :wink: :wink:
  3. alan m.

alan m. New Member

It is a really nice small commuter airplane. I've ridden on one and also on a BN TriIslander which has a third engine on the tail - like a tiny, propellor driven DC-10.

By the way - you can get a really good translation of the german text from:

This website has russian and chinese and japanese as well.

Alan M.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

I built this model about 1 1/2-2 months ago when it first appeared on the papertoys site, or maybe it was on that I found it. its a simple kit, nothing real "flashy", went together ok but was a little "boxy" for my taste. I gave it to the neighbors kid who planned on getting his father to hang it from his bedroom ceiling. (Several of mine have ended up there).
    And by the way, should anyone decide to thin out their collection of assembled models, nothing puts a smile on a kids face like a new (to them) airplane.

Greg aka GW
  5. Hans Christian

Very well said sir! :wink:

I really want to repaint it to properly build my dad's Islander in the Air Force (His first active duty machine before transitioning to attack, flying OV-10s) and modifying the cowlings for the BN-2T version (the turboprop Islander) my dad also fly this alongside the Super King Air 350 for VIP Transport in a government company) :wink:

The real Islander (well for me) has a boxy fuselage when viewed head on (well not really for the nose...) so its fine, maybe adding a little filler or putty to shape the nose would be a nice thing... :roll:

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Hans,

Yes all in all I liked the modelI have recently gotten on a kick of Civilian private aircraft for some reason, like piper pawnee crop dusters, cessna's, zlin-42, Krukabombazo cropdusters, the BN islander and now I have been looking for twin engine cessna's (per my other thread going now).
    And I made a mistake in my earlier post here, I should have said...."nothing makes a kid happy like a model ANYTHING" cars, tanks, trucks, ships, planes, rockets etc. I am personally more of a plane nut (or is that i am a plain nut? :shock: ).
    Anyway, you might try making some small formers for the nose instead of putty and glue them inside the plane. It almost seems like it could use abit of re-inforcement anyway, I noticed when I built it, the fuselage had a tendency to get diagonal (looking from head on).
    And so, I leave ya'll with this thought, before you chunk a paper model cause a propeller fell off, or a wheel came off, or it doesnt match the scale of your other models, give it to a kid, they will love it usually no matter what shape it is in and what better way to get more people into card modeling than to get them addicted young lol. Besides, kids are amazed, as are alot of adults, that these are made of paper. And when you give them an assembled one, why not print them off a freebie like fiddlers green piper cub or some other simple model so they can have a try at making one.

Have a nice night guys,

greg aka GW
  7. Hans Christian

I'm more in to military stuff, but I'm now also getting a bug on civilian planes (I'm also a plane nut :lol: )

The formers are also a neat idea, I'll try that when I build another :wink:

I've tried diplaying card models a model shows, the most recent being the IPMS Nationals last year. And the organizers asked me to put more models in this year's show :wink:

Card models are perfect for those who want to start modeling, and a great gift too (like the way you give your masterpieces to your friends, especially children! :wink: [I'm now starting to think of donating models to libraries in our town :wink: ])

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Hans,

Well, a few years back, back when I was building plastic kits, I found that If i bought one from the local hobby shop, or even wal-mart or k-mart, that you can contact the manager and offer to build them as displays for their respective stores. They way I had it set up, I would purchase a kit, build it, paint it etc, allow them to display it, and recieve another kit usually of my choice for myself AND another kit to build for display purposes. So in effect, I was paid with a free kit, and given another to build, which I would then be compensated for my time and effort once I returned it for display with yet another free kit and another one to build for display.
    I dont know if anyone but me has noticed, but the sales of plastic model kits has declined drastically in recent yrs. And the managers/owners were willing to try anything to boost sales, and what better way than to have actual displays of completed models.
    Best of all, theres no income tax lol and for every one I build for display I got one to keep.
    I dont know that this "set up" would work with all stores, but wouldnt it be nice to be able to build and recieve free card models like this from the local hobby store?
    Unfortunately, there are no hobby shops in my area which carry card models :cry: . But if there were, I would be attempting to set up this deal again in a heartbeat.

have a good day,

9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Britten Norman TRISLANDER

Hi Hans Christian and Greg,

I have just downloaded the German Britten Norman Islander model. I will try to modify it to the slightly longer three-engine 'Trilander' version.
    This airplane type is still in use, for example in the British channel islands, Alderney, Jersey and Guernsey, by the airline
    and in New Zealand by

There are some very nice photos of the 'Trislander' here on
    I´ll tell you how it works out and post a photo when I have something to show!

Best regards,
    Bengt :D
  10. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i reaply only to move the spam nude massege to the end

we have some kids here
  11. 727engineer

727engineer New Member

Hey Yaniv mate? did you get a copy of the islander aircraft? the link doesn't seem to work anymore.