Blue & Yellow Santa Fe

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Anyone else run this color sceme for Santa Fe?
I've got a line on some engines painted this way for cheap and it may become my rail line.

Attachments

• SantaFeBlueYellow.jpg
    SantaFeBlueYellow.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 151

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Smoke said:
I think that is called the "bookends" scheme, because of the yellow on both ends.

-Smoke
Well, the paint design isn't exactly like this but it's the same colors and the closest I coud find to it.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I'm not sure if your question is regarding models released in Santa Fe paint schemes or when did Santa Fe use the various paint schemes on the prototype. The scheme with the yellow ends is also known as the "cigar band scheme" because of the single yellow stripe connecting the 2 ends runing along the top paret of the body. That paint scheme replaced the zebra stripes on switch engines in the 1960's. I think it was in the late 1960's when Santa Fe was experimenting with different color schemes for the new freight scheme that eventually became the blue & yellow warbonnett scheme.

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
I have a Kato SD40 in this paint scheme. on the box, it says "pre-1972" or something like that. I dont kow how rare this N scale loco is. but it looks really cool

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
yes it will.... i think all the post and pre war stuff will, as 0-27 was all there was. id say not till 1970 and up did lionel start slowly making stuff that dont run on 0-27 curve

its 10 inch long

Cannonball said:
Will it handle O27 curves? It looks like it would but looks can be decieving.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Russ Bellinis said:
I'm not sure if your question is regarding models released in Santa Fe paint schemes or when did Santa Fe use the various paint schemes on the prototype. The scheme with the yellow ends is also known as the "cigar band scheme" because of the single yellow stripe connecting the 2 ends runing along the top paret of the body. That paint scheme replaced the zebra stripes on switch engines in the 1960's. I think it was in the late 1960's when Santa Fe was experimenting with different color schemes for the new freight scheme that eventually became the blue & yellow warbonnett scheme.
Actually, my question was whether or not anyone on the board is currently modeling it. ;)

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I model Santa Fe in the 1950's, so my switchers are zebra stripe, freight F units are blue & yellow cigar band, and passenger F, E, & PA units are red & silver. Anyone modeling Santa Fe in the 1960's would be using that paint scheme.

Dick Elmore

Aug 22, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
:wave: Actually, Santa Fe started painting thier engines in the blue and yellow paint,( i.e. bookends), around 1958 and 1959. The cigar band scheme refers to the front logos on the E and F units. All of the passenger E and F units had the cigar band and later the freight F units after the cat whisker paint scheme.

Dick
Texas Chief

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Russ Bellinis said:
I model Santa Fe in the 1950's, so my switchers are zebra stripe, freight F units are blue & yellow cigar band, and passenger F, E, & PA units are red & silver. Anyone modeling Santa Fe in the 1960's would be using that paint scheme.
Dick Elmore said:
Actually, Santa Fe started painting thier engines in the blue and yellow paint,( i.e. bookends), around 1958 and 1959. The cigar band scheme refers to the front logos on the E and F units. All of the passenger E and F units had the cigar band and later the freight F units after the cat whisker paint scheme.
Thanks for the info, guys. I think I've settled on this as my primary model since it's so hard to find BNSF stuff in O27 that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

lucakiki

Jan 23, 2008
italy
Could any one link a picture of an A/7 in Freight colours, such as they would be used contemporary to Red/silver passenger war bonnets?
Thank you.