Blue Thunder

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by jaffro, Dec 6, 2007.

1. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

There's been a bit of talk about one of my absolute all time favorite model subjects lately, Blue Thunder.

It was the first movie I can remember being allowed to go see alone, and as far as I can remember it was the first plastic model kit I can remember building without dad's help.

Seeing as there's been some renewed interest in this subject in this thread and there has been previous interest mentioned here , I thought I'd start a thread to see just how much interest there still is in this cool chopper as it sits pretty high up on my most wanted list of movie vehicles.

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of reference material out there, and she has lots of flat surfaces compared to the gazelle they used as the base. I wish I knew enough about 3D and had the patience to try and convert the 3D mesh myself, otherwise I'd be posting this in downloads instead :D
  2. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Don't remember much about the movie except 1) the chopper slowly rising up alongside the bridge in a headon shot and 2) the chopper doing a complete loop. My jaw was on the floor. Great stuff!! I'd love to see a card model of this one!!

3. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Well, I don't need to tell you both that I love this bird! I can't tackle it now but I'd like to some day.

Though maybe this thread will inspire someone to take it on sooner??
  4. Master-Bruce

Well, I downloaded the mesh. It's good! Though it looks to have a bit of intersection that would need fixing. Also,the turret(the one that moved with the pilots head) is missing so that would need to be modelled.

Just letting you know that if someone would like it,(the mesh) I have it. ;)

5. Master-Bruce

Oh. It also has an interior!
  6. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

OH yes someone going to make it YAHOOOOOOOO !!
    many moon back after i bought the about Airwolf thead that turn in to a great paper model , when it was done i suggest that someone build "Bluethunder" there been no taker :( the was one 3d model out there but it was rough

Maybe you guy will have better luck i'll be waiting for this one :)
  7. Ziga

Ziga Member

I love Blue Thunder and it would be really nice to have a paper one for Christmas ;)
  8. Master-Bruce

It's a great movie design. Is anyone up for tackling this? I know I'd like to, but I can't right now.

I would love to build it though one day.
  9. tazman3

tazman3 Model Designer Wannabe

I think this would be a great model to have...I have the Airwolf model, and I think this one would be great as well. I'd like to see 1/32 scale with lots of detail! :eek::rolleyes:wall1:twisted::wave:
  10. Janx

Janx Member

I'd love t takle this one too, just too much going on atm.
  11. modelnutz7

modelnutz7 Member

I've got the Monogram plastic model sitting on my desk and can take ref pics off It If needed.

Tom :thumb:
  12. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Hope somebody does this project....i want to use it for the body on an RC helicopter.......
  13. MAJOR

MAJOR Member

14. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Been there and seen it...thanks. Little bit out of my league though!!!
  15. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Nobody ever did this huh?????
  16. Paladin

Paladin Member

I guess not. But you know, it would only need to take modifying an Aérospatiale Gazelle to make the Blue thunder. That of course is If there is a paper model of the Gazelle!?!
  17. modelnutz7

modelnutz7 Member

It's a real shame nobody took this on, the body is mainly angular with a few tapered tubes. I too am dissapointed, I wish I could have a go myself, but I'm not fluent with the programs needed.

18. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

The only part of this helicopter that still even closely resembles the Gazelle is the motor, tail, and the ducted rotor unit. Otherwise its as was stated earlier, en exercise in angular geometry! I was going to do it by hand as i also have a problem with unfolding in pekura or sketchup.