Blohm und Voss P179

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Billy Leliveld, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Well, that was fun, It was my first german X-plane, but I've got more where that came from...
    Cheers, Billy

Attached Files:

2. kampfflieger

kampfflieger Member

Great work, Billy!
  3. DHL

DHL Member

very nice build Billy:thumb:!
  4. eric_son

eric_son Member

Very nice!

Can you also post a shot showing the top and bottom side of the plane? I'm curious to see how the landing gear wells on the wings look like.

5. bclemens

bclemens Member

Great job! I LOVE the canopy idea!
  6. lriera

lriera Member

A strange airplane, a well done build.

7. Because of the strange lay-out of the plane, the landing gear ended up in the wingtips..

Attached Files:

8. Anthor view of the bottom
    Cheers, billy

Attached Files:

9. eric_son

eric_son Member

Interesting use of the wingtips for the landing gear wheel wells.
    Seems like B&V maximized all available space.

I would love to see this thing fly. I hope somebody would make an RC model of this.

Thanks for sharing.
  10. scon10

scon10 Member

Hi all,
    I would really be surprised, if this concept would fly at all. Consider that the right wing is larger than the left one, that would put the center of gravity (CoG) a distance to the right of the thrust line of the propeller. Adding the cockpit to the right wing will move the CoG even further out of line of the propeller thrust. That means that the aircraft has an enormous right turning moment, the aircraft will yaw to the right. For straight and level flight, that must be compensated by the vertical tailplane. At take-off, when speed is low and aerodynamic forces small but the engine running at full power, the fairly small vertical tailplane will not be large enough to counteract that moment, so take-off will be impossible.
    Just my penny's worth.
  11. I'm not sure this P179 actualy flew, but Blohm&Voss produced the BV 141, it looked simular, and flew

Attached Files:

12. Here's one more

Attached Files:

13. eric_son

eric_son Member

And here's another photo:

The B&V141 was designed to be a recon aircraft.
    According to my reference book, the first prototype flew very well. It impressed the RLM so much that they considered ordering it into production after making a 'few' modifications -- weapons and armor.
    After adding the weapons and armor, the aircraft's balance was offset and this ruined the good performance.
  14. zizi6785

zizi6785 New Member

The take-off is possible! See the BV-141:

Attached Files:

15. Vyceroy

Vyceroy New Member

I love how you made the canopy glass .. i will be using that method for sure .. nice build ..

FERNANDO New Member

OUCH I SAY:eek:

FERNANDO New Member

it does not look right.
    What ever happened to the concept
    that if looks it! Will fly right!

18. Gerald43

Gerald43 Member

19. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Bit of a necro choosing, but damn, I like the build and the unusual subject matter, so:

Picture Of The Week! :thumb:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  20. I was amazed that this one turns up as Pow after such long time, but flattered, thanks:mrgreen: