Blizzard

b28_82

Well I got off work early today and barely made it home. I got to the end of my driveway and turned the keys then walked up to my house for the shovel. So after snowblowing my driveway out (thanks to my neighbor), i pulled the truck into the garage and decided that i couldn't do anything else but work on my layout tonight. Hopefully my power stays on
*fingers crossed*
Anyone snowed in from the storm?

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
i live in ohio which recently had some serious ice and snow,but nothing as serious as your predicament!but you got a good excuse to tell your boss tomorrow so you dont have to come in!:D--josh

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
We just had a skiff of snow today but North of us the highways are closed going into Iowa. I need to call my folks and be sure they made it home OK.

b28_82

whats funny about that is my immediate boss is currently in southeast iowa with couple other people and a generator on standby. Of course though, there is always someone to call

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Yep. your storm is working its way north toward me. Lots of snow in the Twin Cities.
Ralph

Pooh Bah
Shovelled the driveway twice today. had a discussion with my neighbour about thepossible ice storm tonight: whether we should have cleard the driveway or left a layer of snow to make the ice easier to get under.
Commuting chaos in Toronto. As well as all the snow, CN dumped a train of containers on the ground at Pickering and is somewhat blocking the tracks for GO and VIA.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
60103 said:
Commuting chaos in Toronto. As well as all the snow, CN dumped a train of containers on the ground at Pickering and is somewhat blocking the tracks for GO and VIA.
Ouch!
Any injuries?

RobertInOntario

I left work early but it still took at least an hour to get home (normally it takes 30-40 minutes). It started snowing very suddenly and we seemed to get several inches. Now it's blowing and turning to freezing rain or ice pellets. It's supposed to rain tomorrow.

Didn't have much time for my layout though (too many jobs to do!). Hopefully I will on the w/e.

Rob

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
60103 said:
TV news said there were no injuries because the containers didn't contain passengers.
They seriously said that?
I was thinking more along the line if the engines went with it.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
One good thing from all this, if the old wives' tale about "in like a lion, out like a lamb" is true, we oughta be in for some great weather by the end of the month. ;)

joesho

up here in Vancouver BC we've already had our snow, heavy rain, and hurricane force winds, back in november. I dont know if you down in the us of a heard heard but it was awfull stanley park was ruined :(

stripes

Well we are getting hit hard today in the north They are calling for 10 - 20 cm. of snow!!
I work from home anyway, but the wife got a long weekend!!

David

oldtanker

David, you need to set priorities......you is home cause of the weather and u r going to work from home?????? You should take a day off too and have her help with your trains!

Well about everything is closed.....16" so far with another 6" expected by evening.

Rick

RobertInOntario

Well, I woke up early this morning and thought, boy the house is cold! and then realized that the power was out. Apparently it went out around 1:30 a.m. and is still out (as of 10:25 a.m.). I told my wife that we can't use the TV, nor the computer, and I can't even run my trains -- she smirked at that and then apologized for laughing! At least I can work on my scenery!!

I drove in to work and am there now. Most traffic lights were out, but the main roads weren't bad at all. This storm has really affected the Greater Toronto Area. At least Tim Horton's was open! I guess I'll work something like a half day, drive home, and hope the power comes back on. So far, it's not too cold just yet.

Rob

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
You live in the west end Robert? I know out in then East end and we still had power when we left the house this morning. We did leave the vehicle parked though as the roads were still kind brutal when we left.

RobertInOntario

tetters said:
You live in the west end Robert? I know out in then East end and we still had power when we left the house this morning. We did leave the vehicle parked though as the roads were still kind brutal when we left.

Hi Tetters,

I actually live in the east end, in East York. I work almost due North in Markham near Unionville. Our street, and the streets immediately around us, are out of power but houses do have electricity just a few streets over.

I sure hope the power comes back on this afternoon as the house is slowly getting colder and there's food in the fridge/freezers to think about.

Take care,
Rob