Blaze Destroys Historic Rail Tower

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
No electrical service, no utilities what-so-ever....freaking vandals! Man this kind of news really makes me angry. Society is truly ruled by the lowest common denominator these days.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Unreal.... I hate to see these things happen.. There are wstill a few (very few) towers near me. All are "abandoned in place" :( :(

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
It is saddening to think about it... but as for the "lowest common denominator" - at least they are (probably) not targetting railways specifically (i.e. any abandoned building will do). Now compare this with municipalities who are actively cutting up the remaining "display" steam fleet... :mad: :( :cry:

Andrew

brakie

It is saddening to think about it... but as for the "lowest common denominator" - at least they are (probably) not targetting railways specifically (i.e. any abandoned building will do). Now compare this with municipalities who are actively cutting up the remaining "display" steam fleet... :mad: :( :cry:

Andrew

And the rail enthusiast does nothing to save those locomotives.:curse:

sgtcarl

burning buildings

I HATE arsonists!! Especially those who do it to get their "kicks." But, before I get up on my soapbox, I'd like to add my regrets for the loss of this fine structure. :cry: As for saving the steam locos, well, a guy recently was given an old decrepit steam loco, if he'd haul it off. It cost him over $75,000 to have it shipped to Ohio, where it will become part of a railroad-themed restaurant complex. :eek: Maybe that's why more of us don't get involved in their "salvation."

railohio

And the rail enthusiast does nothing to save those locomotives.:curse:

Railfans support their own interests and not every railfan is interested in teakettles. Just because it exists does not mean it is worth preserving, anyway.

RobertInOntario

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Which cities/towns are doing this (cutting up remaining steam locos)?

Regarding another comment here, I guess having a steam loco being part of a restaurant is better than completely destroying it -- at least it's still preserved and on view for people to enjoy?

Rob

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Which cities/towns are doing this (cutting up remaining steam locos)?

Can't find it right now, but there is a recent post here about one in Alberta(?) possibly going under the torch. And Guelph had considered it for their static display loco. I do not know what the current status is there...

I guess that I should add that not all governments are actively doing this... they just don't make it easy to save them, or any much history for that matter. Two towns where I used to live have both let railway related structures be torn down. I suppose it is the right of the company (railroad) to operate like any other business, but somehow it's not quite that simple...

Andrew