Blasted rock face.

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Muddy, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Muddy

Muddy New Member

Hello all,
    Was thinking of trying to carve foam to make rock faces on a section that would have been blasted out, but came up with a cleaner, much easier and very satisfying way of making.
    Simply crumple up a chunk of tin foil then stretch it out again roll up the sides and poor in some plaster of paris mixed a little runny, pop in the oven for 10 mins or so to speed drying and let sit for a couple of hours. Peel of the tinfoil and Presto.

I made some in a curved shape to go around a bend, cuts well with a hacksaw blade and easy to join together and you can make really course or smooth if you prefer. and no two sections of mold are ever the same.And you can make plenty of it in 15 min.
    When joining together spread thick plaster between joints and use a ball of tinfoil to texture.

Don't know if this is a already established method or not but I though the tinfoil had the right shape and was really impressed.

Well thats my two bits and I hope someone lets me know what they think.
  2. berraf

berraf Member

I heard about the method before but have never tried myself but it seems to be a good way to make the rocks fit in place :)
  3. kirkendale

kirkendale Member

Johnny, this is an excellent method for making rock. I'm not sure why you need to pop it into the oven?? Have you tried to let it set until just firm enough not to run out of the foil then flip it onto your hard shell ?
    These pics are O-scale but I think as long as you crumple the foil more the results will be good in any scale.
    ps rock cut is a work in progress, there is masking tape and paper laid down over the rails.

Attached Files:

4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Military modellers often use this technique to texture water. I never thought of using it for rocks.

Well done. :thumb:
  5. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

I second kirkendale - it is a cheap method with good results. I used this technique for modeling blasted rocks on an 0 scale layout, too. Here's the end of a rock cut.

The method also works for lining the interior of tunnels, but at the moment I didn't find a picture of a tunnel I made. :(

Attached Files:

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Well, if we just imagine a roof over the rock cut at the top of the page...:thumb:

If you needed to timber your tunnel, I suppose you would need to do it before it got baked into a Brownie, though! :)