blacken-it, for trach weathering

Discussion in 'Product Review Forum' started by ozzy, Dec 3, 2006.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i found this stuff in a bottle at my LHS, is blacken metel, all most instantly. well i got 2 peices of atlas N gouge flex track done so far, here is what the bottle says.....

cold chemical blackener for metals. blacken-it is an effective alternative to paint. no setting or curing time... weathered black finish. may be soldered over. no spray equipment required. not harmful to plastics. wont hide fine details. conducts electricity.

ok, i put it on my track with a q-tip. after a little while it did blacken some. but there was spots that did not turn, i think i just need to go over it and hit the missed spots again. but im thinking of just highlighting the missed spots with an rust colored paint.

now the bad part, (witch in one way is a good thing) the bad thing is i could not keep it off the top of the rails, so now there blackened to, but it conducts electricity so i can still run thr train on it......(i hope, im laying the first of my track today, so i will test it out today)

now for the good part of having the top of the rails blackened,,,,,, you can use it on sidings and branch lines that like in the real world dont see much traffic, and are rusted all over, but you will still beable to run your train over that part of the track. where if it was paint you could not.

has anyone else used this stuff? what did you think of it?
  2. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

the engine runs just fine with the stuff on the top of the rails.
  3. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

It has been used off and on for years actually. I wouldn't mind some myself LOL.
    Anyhow, it works fine. One complaint is that it blackens the tops of the rails that most people want shiny like the real ones. Other then that it is fine. I have not heard complaints, but others may know something I don't.
    Hope that helps.:)
  4. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Those uneven spots may be where you touched the rails with your fingers. I've had similar experiences with what is called "cold bluing for guns. We used it at work on steel wind tunnel models and had to thoroughly clean the metal before applying it.
  5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i kinda like the "missed" spots, i think im going to get some rust colored paint and hit the spots, , i mean, is'nt there differant degrees of rust/dirt/grime on the sides of the rails in real life?
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

well after running an engine a few min, it stopped going, i took a dry Q-tip to the rails, and there was some black stuff on the track, im guessing from when i used the blacken stuff to weather the rails, the Q-tip did not take the weathering off the top of the rails, but did the black dust, after that it ran fine. but just to be safe, i took one of the wifes fingernail files, the finest grit she had and went over the tops of the rails to make them shiny. better safe then sorry.

oh ya, i sugest that you dont let your wife catch you doing it...........
  7. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

announce1 :oops:
  8. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

You need to be careful with any file or abrasive that you don't leave minute scratches in the rail. A Brite Boy track cleaner block will clean it off without leaving scratches.
  9. jflessne

jflessne Member

I'm curios about this stuff. Does the bottle happen to mention rinsing the rails to stop the chemical reaction? The reason I ask is I have a similar product that instructs you to rinse.
  10. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

yes, i think it does say that you can, if you want a lighter shade, and not bitch black, it says ya can delute in water to soak bigger stuff, i just put it on with a brush tho. the stuff only cost me 8.00 bucks. its blue in the bottle.
  11. richard cormier

richard cormier New Member

Do not use anything abrasive other than brite-boy, or a facsimile on the rail tops. the striations you leave will have a bad effect on conductivity, as well as be a "magnet" for all manner of crud! Do yourself a favour; get a rail cleaning car. Give your wife back her file.