Blackburn Buccaneer S2/S50 (1/33)

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Plastic Bonsai, Oct 14, 2007.

1. dansls1

dansls1 Member

This is a very unique looking airplane and I look forward to following your progress as you design and build this one. Looks good so far ;)
  2. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Plastic, have you got enough reference material, i.e. photos for the build. I may be able to help you with some photos and scans. Nice build, must admit though, I liked it better in navy colours.
  3. barry

barry Active Member

Forget the stringers have a look at one of NOBI's models and use the strip joint over the top of the former the fuselage without the stringers looks right it would be a shame to stop now. It shows great promise so far.

You need to add a bit to your program which will scale down the formers by x mm then you can sell it to me anyway.
  4. RN, scale and stuff

Thanks Paul. I enough references for now. I am ignoring them for the most part as I am simply trying to get the model together - a lot to figure out yet. Once done I will try and correct the model as best I can. Though if you have any close-ups of the Nightbird Bucc - currently gate gaurdian at Farnborough I would appreciate it as the RAE/AAEE schemes are particulary attractive. The Alpha mesh comes with an early RN scheme and an RAE scheme.

Barry: UMC2 has a scale facility. Select Model (M) and Transform -> Scale the top line of the pop up lets you scale by a ratio or resetting one of the dimensions ( I usally use Y fo the wing span) will re-scale the model though at the moment it seems to have the habit of applying the scale several times if you are not careful.

I agree the stringers idea didn't work though I thought it had potential. The Nobi strips would be a better way to go though they are a bit fiddly to generate. I will stick with the back tabs for the prototyping and try and find the happy medium where there are enough formers to give shape, strength and stability to a monocoque construction. Ideally some kind of pourable filler could brace the model but apart from the expanding foam which is far too powerfull I can't think of anything that would work with a paper shell.

Attached Files:

• rn.JPG
      File size:
      40.5 KB
    • rae.JPG
      File size:
      40.8 KB
  5. Janx

Janx Member

The Raspberry Ripple Buc looks good :)
  6. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Order of installs

Stormeagle, I can't say I remember for sure which order I did them in, but I recall that it made a difference which program got installed first.
    Also, make sure the ghostscript executable is in a folder that's in in your PATH variable.
    Check out the links below, and if that doesn't get you anywhere, I'd suggest simply reinstalling Gimp. It should pick up the ghostscript installation.

Here's a couple links that may help:

Plug-ins for The GIMP

Don't Back Down: Reading PDF Files with GIMP

7. barry

barry Active Member

To make quick joining strips cut out the part out, take a pencil draw around the back edge on good quality note paper and one side move forward 1/4" draw round the part again cut notches in the back half of the joining strip. Not pretty but it works
  8. Stormeagle

Stormeagle Member

Thanks Sjsquirrel, I 'll try it out.
  9. cmdr199212

cmdr199212 Member

dude if you finish this i would love to build it!!!!!
  10. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

Long Live temerity !!!!
  11. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

12. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Can't wait to see this one done :)
    And I like that one too :D
  13. cmdr199212

cmdr199212 Member

do you need some one to build a prototype?

i would be happy to volunteer!

14. igoraf

igoraf Member

where can I found this program (UMC2).
  15. igoraf

igoraf Member

Thank you very much, but this version don't work here. I tried to open the .mdl file you use ( Blackburn Buccaneer and anothers) but the program always shut down, and the Windows shows me a error message. Thanks again.
  16. OK there may be a simple reason for that. PM inbound if you don't mind. I would like to help you to get it working.
  17. Stormeagle

Stormeagle Member

Could you be more specific because I sem to have the same problem. Thank you.
  18. Hello Stormeagle

Igor sorted his problem by unzipping UMC2 into a high directory like C:\UMC2.You should able to open the test model fom there. UMC2 hates deep long file names so keep the models in directiories near the root like C:/model. It also doesn't like "." in the directory names that sometimes happens - edit the "." out of the directory names. It's not nice that the zip file is so that could be the problem.

It doesn't do all .mdl files - there is an old mdl read under options you can try. Sometimes the undo.dat file it generates during translation might be OK as a .mod file if you can spot where it is having problems - some bad numbers perhaps. If you have a particular file you would like translating and are having problems then send me its location and I'll give it a go.

There is a readme html file in the download which might help.

I also have a very beta version with a few small fixes that is available on request.

If there is interest I shall start a UMC2 thread in the software section if that is OK with the moderators?

Thanks to Igor I realised UMC2 was available and a few people have reported problems - I hope it was the above!

19. Gearz

Gearz Member

Even though I only use it to a fraction of its potential, UMC2 is one of those handy little programs I don't think I could do without now (Thanks again PB :inw: ). ~ A dedicated UMC2 thread ? ~ most definitely.. absolutely.. yes please! There was a UMC2 thread before the move, can't seem to find it now.?

Been following this Dev from the back of the bus, and I was lucky enough to catch a documentary recently that featured a 'privately owned' :eek: Buccaneer in South Africa. Damn nice looking aircraft in flight, and great subject choice PB. :thumb: ITSGUNABEABEAUTY