Black Widow F's crossing Davis Creek

Puckeringswine

Sep 15, 2004
Southern California
This is a scene that is not quite done but starting to take shape, on my friend's layout. The truss bridge is one of two spanning the canyon here. They are the Walthers single track version, not as nice as the Central Valley kit but they can be built in a fraction of the time. I cheated with the water, its just wet paint at this point and it photographs better than it looks in person.

Attachments

• dAVIS cREEK.jpg
    dAVIS cREEK.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 169

Puckeringswine

Sep 15, 2004
Southern California
When the paint is dry, and I am happy with the look, I varnish it with very cheap gloss medium available in the craft paint section of Wal Mart or other hobby craft stores. You can add as many coats as you like and tint it if you like. I poke at and swirl the varnish so it reflects light like moving water.
I think the mistake a lot of guys make in modeling water is coloring. I prefer greens and browns with very little blue, like many things you have to look beyond what you think you see, our memories and perceptions often lie to us.
Another view of the same area.

Attachments

• DC 2.jpg
    DC 2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 154

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Very nice scene Puck!!! I like your observations on water, and also your technique. If the base colour is right, then all that's needed is some shine to suggest wetness. I think our first instinct is to "make a model" of water, with deep layers of resin etc. But as Bywater says, the trick is to model what you "see" not what you "know".

Keep us posted! :)

Val

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Two beautiful shots, Puck! I always loved the Black Widow color scheme of the SP diesels, and here it really shows off.

The greyish color of the water in the first pic is just... er... like water. The slight color variations which suggest waves washing ashore look perfect. You said that at this moment the paint still was wet - I hope that its appearance didn't change too much when it dried.

Ron